Pictures of bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FATFLATTIE, Nov 28, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    This may sound like a really odd question, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of what bait looks like on the finder. I just want to know what you see on your depth finder when you decide to throw the net. I'm trying to figure out how to catch shad in the river I'm fishing and need all the help I can get. Also, what depths should I be looking for them in when the water temps are around 58-60 degrees? Thanks for any information guys.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here you go. Check these out.

Attached Files:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Heres a really cool shot.

A BIG FISH and a Bait Ball. You know there is feeding going on here!

Fish this spot!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, another one.

This is a split screen shot, regular sonar and side imaging.

You gotta buy one of these side imagers!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks a bunch for the pics man. My depth finder is not nearly as nice as yours, but I get the idea. I think we were seeing some bait the other day when we were on the river. We usually try and catch shad out of a small lake near the river but I'm gonna give catching them in the river a try.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wes, I searched all over the www and the only picture of bait that I could find was this. And I read that it was particularly good this time of year.

Attached Files:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    WOW thats a nice depth finder..:crazy:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    While I do have the side imaging sonar just wanted to clear up that these are not my photos. I borrowed them.:roll_eyes:

I haven't got around to buying the measly SD card to allow me to save snapshots. Thats funny because as much as the sonar cost you'd think a guy would get off his rear and use it's full potential.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jack,
    He wasn't talking about stink bait:eek:oooh:...W

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Here's a few from the Ohio River. Notice that on the first one there is hardly anything on the 2D view but the bait shows clearly on the SI view.
    Remember too that the sonar will show what is under (usually) the transducer at that moment. By the time you see and identify it it could have gone in any direction...W

Attached Files:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well just remember that the SI sees much farther to the side of the boat so the bait probably was not under the cone of the normal 2d transducer propogation path.

Great shots, thanks!

12. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ok I have seen those side image sonar a bps but how do you read them is the black part water and the gray the lake or river bottom?

13. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Since the sonar is cone shaped; how do you know what side of the boat to throw your net?:eek:oooh:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    With traditional sonar imaging your cone of detection is really not all that large and is directly underneath the boat. I forgot exactly how much bottom coverage you might get at say, 25 ft depth???? But you are chasing a schooling bait fish here and that gets you close enough in most situations.

The side imaging can show you left and right and if you want to get technical you can move the cursor over the bait ball and it will tell you how many feet from the boat it is also.

I am still experimenting (where the heck is that users manual I lost????) and others here know way more about how to use them properly than I do.

They are pretty awesome units though! Expensive but worth it. I bought the 'cheap' one at $1199.00:crazy: (but I still slobber over the bigger ones), buy the bigger if you can afford it!

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The black is your water column, the gray (or bright white if it's rocky) is the bottom. White "specs" in the column are fish or debris. You can set the range on your SI. I usually keep mine fairly narrow (50' or so) since I'm looking for bait I can throw to or for structure to fish. The narrower scan range gives me better bottom detail when looking for structure. If I had the 997 unit with the wider screen I might do better with a wider scan range, but on the 797 the screen is fairly small and 50' is about right for me. Good Luck!

Branden