Picture of the boat that capsized on Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by The Penn Slammer, Dec 14, 2009.

1. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    This is not a small boat at all. It went down running.

Attached Files:

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Man how does a deck boat or pontoon whatever you wouoold clasify that as capsize!!!

3. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    One of the chambers filled with water and when it leaned to one side the big waves just flipped it over. We were in six footor better swells of water.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The mighty Santee can get some tremendous waves, depending on the wind direction and intensity. Even big pontoons or deck boats are not immune to 6 to 8 foot waves. If you get caught out there with a dead engine or any major malfunction in rough weather, Davy Jones locker might be your next destination. Good report and photo, Richard!

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    One of the three bilge pumps failed leading to this.

6. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Those men were very luck to survive the events. Looks like it was a nice boat before it flipped. Hopefully it can be repaired.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I can't imagine anyone heading into the lake with a boat that leaks bad enough to warrant frequent pumping out , or anyone who would head into the lake with an iffy engine, ESPECIALLY with the conditions as rough as they were that day. People just don't recognize the danger. I'm just now getting comfortable going on the lake on a good day! It's better to be apprehensive and cautious, than frivilous and stupid.

Bill in SC

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I can't imagine anyone heading into the lake with a boat that leaks bad enough to warrant frequent pumping out , or anyone who would head into the lake with an iffy engine, "

And here I thought you were a redneck!! :wink::smile2::smile2:

9. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    Thanks for the pic. Its always nice to have a pic to go with the conversation. You should have many good days in your future for your help with the accident.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Dieter will be along shortly to straiten everyone out on whether it was a deck or pontoon boat :wink:. And to tell us how many gallons per minute the bilge pumps should have been to keep this accident from happening to start with :wink::smile2:. J/K, well sort of :smile2:.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! Well, I WAS on the lake during the last tourney in high seas, but we did have a five gallon bucket to bail with! :wink: The first day of the tourney, we knocked a hole in the boat! Undaunted, we fished on. It was a small hole and did not take on too much water. Good thing as I have NO bilge pump.! :smile2: I was not in fear though, as I was in the company of the old salt, Penn Slammer!

BB in SC

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! THAT is hilarious! If not Dieter, certainly MarkJ!!!!!! :wink:

Bill in SC

13. The Penn Slammer

State:
    Princeton, West
    IS JUST A PICTURE, no debating PLEASE.:big_smile:

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    great job richie thanks for the pic not a small boat at all just shows how bad those lakes can get

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You ain't gettin' out that light! :wink:
    A picture is worth 10,000 words from D or MJ!!!! LOL!!!!!

BB in SC

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    MarkJ will be along shortly to tell us how many foot lbs. of torque it took to fold in the right front side panel :smile2:.

All BS aside, it's a great job ya'll done getting these men out of the water. Good thing we can all set back and laugh about it now :cool2:. Hats off to ya both.

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Gotta keep the nose into those swells. You get sideways in big swells and your asking for it. You guys know.

18. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've been on the water many times with what I consider to be a perfectly safe vehicle and I always try to make SURE of it whenever I go out. But then there's the time that the main motor conked out and so did the trolling motor. Then the wind started getting nasty. Just goes to show that bad things can happen to anyone at the worst possible time.
    I'm glad those folks got rescued and damn proud of the boys who got there FIRST. Boats can be fixed or replaced. Human life can't. True heros hide out everywhere until they're REALLY needed.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey, I like 3 bilge pumps. I've always recommended 2 way up there in the 3000 GPH range. If you gonna pump water don't play at it. Sling it high and wide.

For big water I love the self bailing boats as long as you got some decent sized scuppers.

Caught in the crap and all that bilge pump does is put forth a kidney stone clogged dribble is disheartening to say the least.
    Had that happen ONCE. It was then I decided to quit playing at pumping water and start pumping water. Atleast buy yourself some time to get her beached somewhere.

Just make sure you got the battery capacity.:wink:

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    After i lost my boat to Moultrie, i increased the size of my pump. It was so big i had to change the size of the hole in the boat and the hose going to it:smile2: I wasn't taken anymore chances. A drift sock is good to have when the engine dies, it will keep the bow into the waves. I think that the drift sock was actually made for this and not fishn but you know fishermen. Why not take advantage of it while you waiting on the motor to quit.
    Santee has mercy on no boat. I have included a pic of my Blue Water Key West that flipped at marker 22. It knocked the winshield out and bent the rails. I can't find the pic's of it when it came off the water, this is a few yrs later after the engine finally went out.