picture of shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by playinghooky, Oct 20, 2005.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I know there are different kinds of shad we use for bait. Could some peaple send pics of different kinds with a where to find and a how to catch please

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Dan, around here you've got mostly Hickory,American, and Gizzard shad.The first 2 are considered "game fish" so there is a limit on how many you can possess. The gizzard shad I catch with a cast net. The first 2 you can get with a "shad dart"(lure) I'll see if I can find a picture for ya. To be honest,I have a hard time telling them apart myself. The biggest difference is, a gizzard shad won't hit any kind of lure/hook.They eat mostly alge.

3. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    where can i find this shad dart

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    check in the sponser section under Catfish Connection. You can find a picture there and see if you can buy it localally.

5. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    couldnt find it in catfish connection i sure thought i would have gotten better response to this thread

6. charliedog

charliedog New Member

State:
    New Albany, Indiana
    Here are a couple of pictures of shad darts. I don't know where you can purchase them, but the molds are available on line.

Attached Files:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Playing Hooky, here are some links to shad pics. I did a quick google search. Hope this will help. The gizzard, or threadfin shad is very slimy and seldom bite a hook. They stay year-round in fresh water and are almost caught with a cast net for bait.
    gizzard shad
    The american is the largest of the three. The hickory is very similar in appearance to the american shad, a little smaller and darker colored. They both can be caught on darts or even crappie jigs. Around here they like chartreuse or yellow, sometimes white, jigs.
    american shad
    hickory shad

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    playing hooky sometimes its in the wording of the title.
    could be when people see "picture of shad " they may not be interested in seeing a picture of something they see thousands of.

now if it had read something like........ i need help identifieing a shad or something along that lines you may have gotten dozens of replies as there are a lot of very helpful
    members here that are eager to help.

great post blackwater thats alot of good info there.

charlie thank you also i never heard of the shad dart now i have thanx

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I disagree DRC!!! I rarely see shad unless they are floating dead down river in the end of March. I think for some of us the pictures would be helpful. Thank you Blackwater for including the pics for me.

Ray

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I messed up a little on the post above (too rushed). Should have read: They stay year-round in fresh water and are almost always caught with a cast net for bait.
    The gizzard shad is an algae feeder, and almost never bites a hook. They are slimy and have a strong fish odor. Predator fish love them. They do school together, usually according to size, and can be found near dams or shallows near deep water, even in deeper water.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    anybody ever have any luck with the frozen shad that you can buy at the baitshop?? I've bought it a few times, although i think i was fishing the wrong spots with it.......i've never had any luck ...........

12. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Playinghooky,
    Cabelas sells shad darts for $6.99 for a card of 12. ;)

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    check the laws where ya live. here in illinois ide hate to have to jig em lol, :eek: we can use a cast net up to 8' diam with 3/8 mesh being the largest. no limits. there thick as thieves.

the frozen shad from bait shops works. just cheaper to buy a net. $6 for a jar here with 7-8 cut up shad. with a $20 net i can get 3-4 dozen in 20 min and use em fresh. ;)

14. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Do none of yous use a flutter spoon?

I seem to have more luck with flutter spoons than the darts.
    Basically is a small thin spoon with a 1/2 inch shank and hook on the end.Generally youd put asinker about 2 feet up from the hook and cast out,the spoon is very erratic and wobbles all over,hence its name.

I seen many posts about shad,and always thought yous used a different kind then the american,hickory,and gizzard shad.They are the same ones i fish for here.
    Most are about 1-2feet in length and you guys use these live?

I know theres smaller shad they talk about for bass fishing and thought that was what most ofyou were talking about.Are those smaller shad the same a s these three or different shad altogether?

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the gizzard shad i get in shad nets averadge about 4-6 ". occasionally up to 11". in not sure how big they get but i don't think they get much bigger than 12"

16. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    well i seen gizzard shad at 20to 26 inches

what are you catching babys?
    or are they different altogehther?

I'm so confused :confused:

The ones i get are migratory or whatever,they go outtosea andcomeinfresh water to spawn

I knew ya guys weren't usein no 24 inch shad live for bait....LOL

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    raymond you completely misunderstood my post.
    please reread it .

i was referring to the mans comment on not getting alot of response to his post

what i am meaning is that maybe he didnt get the kind of response to his post that he desired because of the title of his thread.

i was insinuateing that perhaps a differant title would have perked up more responses LOL .
    look a little further and i too thanked blackwater for posting some great information . you little devil you.
    so now that rend lake excursion got shot to hell whats the next plan?

name some water closer to you and lets try to go fishin dude.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey you two stop it now, lmao. i still want to go fishing. you and ray are about equil distances from me. lets just hook up and fish the hot water at clinton lake or something. the temps at the discharge last week was 91 degrees. there still hitting! i gave up on switching the catstock area. ain't gonna happen in my lifetime. lol.

p.s. be a good time to take that troller off my hands.

:eek: 26" gizzard. not at clinton lake. they stay in the lake. no where to go. never seen one over 12". whistler catches skippy's that big but they are common that size.

19. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Can a man have any fun with you at all DRC???? :D

Ray

20. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    I'll be sure to take a few pics for ya this feb-march when theycome around.Don't think i have any on hand now.
    I don't think they are the same fish as the ones you are catching.The names are the same though.

This is really confusing the heck outta me