Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody. i'm a firm believer in cut bait, EVENTHOUGH i've never had any luck with it...hahaha..(just started trying it really, just going off what everybody else says)

could someone post a pic of HOW they hook the bluegill cut bait? especially the head. Thinkin maybe I have too much hook showing or something, cause I can't even get a bite on it. Thanks for the help and the pics in advance.

· Registered
576 Posts
well it depends on how big of a bluegill im using. if its small then ill hook it through the eyes or through the upper lip but if its big ill put the hook through the back of the head where i made the cut out the top of the head. id post a picture but i dont have any.

· Registered
3,732 Posts
Catfish don't know what a hook is! As a general rule, you need your hook placement to hold the bait securely while having a good amount of space available for a good hook set. Hiding the hook or not having enough of the hook exposed will insure more misses. If cats aren't biting your bait, its because they are not there or don't like what you are offering. Try changing baits in that particular area.

· Registered
718 Posts
what kinda hooks are you currently using? and size?.. and type hope fully a size 5-7 /o circle. hook cut the blue gill head 2and a half inch or 3 inch peice just behind the side fins and stick that big circle hook under the chin and threw bridge of the nose or even farther back pick the toughest part you can find this allows for a far cast or multipul bites /cast .as for the other half i cut all the sharp fins off and cut the worthless lil tail peice of and half the remainder you can get 3 baits outa 1 bigger blue gill and the belly and head peices are the best ones try and keep the guts in there . then hook in the back bone with these parts. also if you can find shad or mullet, skippys ,shinners they are also good choices or fresh water muscels . bait shops some times will freeze there dead shinners for you this bait alone has been AWESOME for me i get wild and domestic shinners threw a local bait shop there happy to still get a buck or 2 for 25-30 shinners i cut them inhalf at an angle to splut up the guts :) cats LOVE IT if you use them half frozen they stay on the hook GREAT just aim for the back bone and you have a fish popcicle LOL its a tasty treat for any lazy cat in the area and with in a few minutes its same as fresh cut bait just a lil softer so no second casts and a smaller circle hook is a good idea gl man no digi cam yet so no pic but hopefully some one can help with that. also consider changing you rig set up ....... get the bait off the bottom with a 3 way swivel.. mud bottom or heavy vegatation a 3 way is the only way to present the bat to them so they can find it. just ideas for ya buddy gl and happy cattin

· Registered
943 Posts
If you arent getting bites then change bait or area. Far as hooking the heads just stick the J-hook thru the eyes. Thats how we do shad etc heads too. I dont use circle hooks etc anymore. I tried all the other alternative hook designs and found J-hooks are more versatile for me. Depending on the bait/head size a 1/0 hook up to a 5/0 will probably cover the majority of cutbait setups. We do have a few bankpoles rigged with 8/0 and 10/0 for big cutbaits etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.