Picture of Gar Rope Lure and Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by LadyValea1, Oct 12, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Here is a picture of a couple of rope lures and one of my son and a gar. One lure uses a spinner and the other is without. I used a small plastic cable tie in the middle. Initially I used the strands from the entire 3/8" rope piece that was 6 to 7" long. The bad thing with making one like that is too much of the material gets wrapped in the snout. I cut down to making two lures out of that length. (Oh yeah, it's better and quicker not to use braided nylon). You can use a wire brush on the strands to make them more fuzzy, but I don't know if you really gain anything from doing so. I also attach a small weight to assist casting of the lure and use a steel 18 or 24" leader. When the lure comes out of the water, during the casting process, all the water drips and then is thrown off the lure and it becomes very light so you just need to adjust your weight to suit you. My husband was thinking it might be easier to take the heads from all the Christmas Barbies I have, use a wire brush on their hair to make it finer, hook it to a steel leader and bait the gar with that! Don't think so!! Oh Yeah-- No --- There are NO hooks necessary to get a gar using this lure.

The other picture is of my son holding a gar he caught using one of the rope lures. He caught several with the lures. One gar was able to jump and ended up raking it's teeth right in the inside of his elbow, leaving numerous bleeding marks where it got him.

Attached Files:

2. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Here is a pic of his battle wounds about three hours after the fish had raked his arm. It bled pretty good for a bit which based on the looks in the picture was surprising.

Attached Files:

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for putting the pictures up. That's not how mine look. I didn't use new rope either so mine aren't shiny. Maybe that's what the problem is. Can't really tell from that pic how your line attaches though. I left a little bit of the rope alone for the head of mine and that's where I attached the leader.

Way to go on the catches.

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Guess I should have added the reverse angle shot. Here it is. As far as being shiny, I am not sure that really matters. If you comb the strands out with a wire brush, they dull up a bit. I really don't think you have to take that much time and these will snag in the snout as well. I see that on one of the lures, I tied knots on each side of the cable tie. Sounded like a good thing to do at the time. Don't know if it affects anything, but the cable tie should not slip at all.

Back to the lure..... you can see the cable ties are cut after being tightened. I just used a good sized swivel on each lure though the cable tie.

Attached Files:

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    those are great and the gar your son caught was a good size one too

have you or do you soak the rope in chicken liver blood , of course if you done that and added a kahle hook you may inturn catch catfish as well as gar , just an idea

good luck and thanks for the posts

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I totally understand now. That's not at all how I did mine. I will definately have to make some your way next time. I put WAY too much time and effort into mine. :lol: I had a heck of a time combing the rope out too. Thanks again for the help!

7. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Tina,

Thats a good lure. See, constantly learning something all the time!! Thanks hun!:wink:

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    awesome post, love the pics, and congrats to your son on the gar!

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tina those look good and easy to make, thanks

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks a lot Ive been wating to see a pic posted of a rope lure for gar.

11. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for posting the lure pics and the fish looks like a good lure

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great lure.Greater kid.Thanks for shareing your trip and your family.I realy enjoyed the trip.Thanks for taking me along.peewee

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx Tina thats a very good picture and looks fairly simple,now im wondering, what makes gar hit these should they be dipped in blood or something ?

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Great job! Thanks for posting

15. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi everyone.
    My name is Jim, Tina's husband. She is not here right now, but I wanted to provide this update to answer a few of the questions that were posted.
    I took my son and father-in-law out this afternoon/evening to test out the lures that were pictured in this or the other thread Tina made. I did not brush them out or add anything to them. No, no blood, nothing.... just the pictured lures. I wanted to see if it really made a difference or if they would still work. We went to the Trinity river (runs through west Fort Worth area), hooked the lures up and began casting into the river. The returns were slow and I slowly raised and lowered my rod tip for movement as I reeled the lure in. I really don't think that it matters as I have not moved the tip before and still had a catch. It does seem that reeling in fairly slow does matter. In addition, if you feel a tug, stop reeling and resist the temptation to conduct a hook setting action (remember, there is no hook). Heck, I even hit the line release button on my reel to give a bit of line freely to the fish. This gives them a chance to perform a thrashing or rolling action which more or less, snags their snout with the rope strands. My father in law forgot and missed three good chances, by jerking his rod when they set on the lure. I landed a 37 inch using the lure with the spinner and a short time later he finally landed a 43 1/2 inch nice and fat gar using the one without the spinner. Again, neither were brushed out and were hooked to the line just as in the picture and both did the job, so why waste the time to add a tube with painted eyes, put on some red to simulate blood, or even soak them in blood or anything else. Spend that time casting, retrieving the lure slowly and catching fish. More fun than brushing strands of nylon, (unless the nylon is attached to lures made from Christmas Barbie heads that take up space where man things could be). Aw,,,, come on now, you all know I am just kidding about that. Geez, gotta throw in some BS every now and then. Besides, I do wear the pants in the family, even though Tina sets them out each morning. Kiddin again y'all. I can dress myself. Anyway, I have it pretty much like most guys wish they did. My wife enjoys fishing sooooo much, that there are actually times that I really just want to relax in the garage getting my 55 Chevy Truck ready to put it up for sale, or just watch TV in the living room (or even mowing the lawn)! Nonetheless, I attached a few pics from today showing the strands caught on the gar's teeth and the largest fish. I try to cut as little as possible to remove the lure from the fish's mouth (just to keep from having to change out lures all the time). Cut a little bit and the lure can still be used.

Attached Files:

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Once again, nice fish you caught there. They look real clean and MEAN.:lol: Going to have to try your style of lures next time I'm out on the river here.

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pics of your lures and fish!

18. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    do you add a weight & if so what size

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Nice job on those! I've been going for longnose lately and have been having the toughest time. I'm fishing really muddy water with quite a current going. Cut bait under a cork. I've landed one 6 pounder, but I mostly get channel cats! :smile2: I've thrown the rope, but it's just so hard to tell whats going on, especially with the strong current. Any help here?

20. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Tina gonna try them next year.