Pictoral question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 23, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Being a newbie I have read several post about the structure flathead prefer to hang out in and around or under. Attached are some pictures I took this past week-end on the upper New River in Virginia that I think looks like the type of structure people are describing when they describe the kind of structure flatheads prefer. My questions are:

• As you may be able to see from the pictures this laydown has a bunch of trash floating on the surface that shelters an area of the surface immediately up against the exposed portion of the laydown to about 10-15 feet upstream of the lay down. When targeting for flatheads should I target the bottom under the upstream edge of the trash or under that trash downstream where the actual laydown meets the bottom of the river?
    • Would anchoring below the laydown and fishing the downstream edge of the laydown be a consideration?
    • If I anchored upstream in this situation, is there a way to “walk or slide” the bait under this type of trash to get in closer to the laydown itself.
    Any comments would be appreciated, even if it’s to say I don’t have a clue what I am talking about. Hope the pictures are clear enough to see the trash...

2. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Sorry I posted this 2 times and can't de;ete this one with out the pictures.:embarassed:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I aint getting no pictures on this post.In general though,I find the the cats that are feeding will be sitting on the upstream side.Yeah,you can pick your bait up and walk it closer if you got enough cuurent to move it.Don,t know how deep your talking about,but you can also work a slipfloat close from upstream.I wouldn,t leave without giving the whole thing a shot though,sometimes they,re tucked in pretty good and a bait right in their face can do the trick.:wink:

4. CatHunterSteve

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Sorry I posted this 2 times and can't delete this one with out the pictures.:embarassed: