Pictoral question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 23, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Being a newbie I have read several post about the structure flathead prefer to hang out in and around or under. Attached are some pictures I took this past week-end on the upper New River in Virginia that I think looks like the type of structure people are describing when they describe the kind of structure flatheads prefer. My questions are:

• As you may be able to see from the pictures this laydown has a bunch of trash floating on the surface that shelters an area of the surface immediately up against the exposed portion of the laydown to about 10-15 feet upstream of the lay down. When targeting for flatheads should I target the bottom under the upstream edge of the trash or under that trash downstream where the actual laydown meets the bottom of the river?
    • Would anchoring below the laydown and fishing the downstream edge of the laydown be a consideration?
    • If I anchored upstream in this situation, is there a way to “walk or slide” the bait under this type of trash to get in closer to the laydown itself.
    Any comments would be appreciated, even if it’s to say I don’t have a clue what I am talking about. Hope the pictures are clear enough to see the trash...

Attached Files:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Got the pics this time.Yeah,it looks like a pretty good spot.Hate repeating,but I don,t know if you got the other post.I,d fish upstream first ,I,d try either a bottom rig and walk it in,or a slipfloat rig and get it close to the edges.I,d try the downstream side on a bottom rig too.If there,s some nice branches down there and they,re tucked in good,you might have to put it right in their face.Try and use enough rod to move em out of there quick.I love big old snags like this.Don,t go in undergunned!Depends on when you fish it too,they,re gonna be in deeper during the day.:wink:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i fish similar lookin areas and anchor upriver and cast near the structure, either on the upriver side or right in front, i just hate when my bait swims into that mess and gets me snagged:confused2:

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks Pat! The other post is a prime example of high tech equipment and low tech personel! I usually uses 50 lb. mono on my spinning reels (An old Ompympic Mark III that will hold a bus as far as the reel goes) and 50lbs braid on my baitcasters. Typically use 30 or 50lb leaders. Sorry you had to repeat your self, but I truly appriciate your time and information!

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i would use a catbobber on that jam. upstream, float it close enough that it dont tangle all in it. then fish a no roll sinker carolina rig with a mono leader,on both sides. if you do get tangled u only lose a hook. try and fish it all the way around . he gotta come out to eat sometime:wink: looks like a good set up. i gotta few jams i been checkin out myself.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i would use a catbobber on that jam. upstream, float it close enough that it dont tangle all in it. then fish a no roll sinker carolina rig with a mono leader,on both sides. if you do get tangled u only lose a hook. try and fish it all the way around . he gotta come out to eat sometime:wink: looks like a good set up. i gotta few jams i been checkin out myself.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You sound ready brother!Horse em on outta there,get em turned towards you in those first couple seconds,they might snap you,but if they get inside,they,re gonna break you off anyhow.:wink:

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That looks like the stuff!

To fish it during the daytime - when there will likely be flats layed up in the heart of the snag, I get above it and put some nice fresh bloody cut bait right close in front and then even try to "walk" the bait under the snag a bit (use a light enough sinker so that when you lift it just off bottom it will drift back a bit...)

For night time, I would not bother trying to get in the snag, just put live baits near it, like one just above the snag and one just off the outside edge.

During the day they are layed up and will not move much for a bait but will eat if you put it close enough, and the smell of fresh blood will help. At night they are more active and watching for live prey. They might still be in the edges of the snag at nightm, but will move out a bit to take a lively bait.

Also, at night, you can look for travel routes for fishout prowling - try fishing channels, banks between snags, just along the bottom edge of drop offs, etc.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    WOW!!! Those are good looking places. Don't forget flatheads are ambush type feeders, so be sure and fish the part of the jams and rocks nearest the current. I like to fish a rig that allows the bait to drift along the current side of the jams and shoals. Often the flatheads will dash out into current to grab bait floating bye like this.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    during the daytime i would anchor upstream and let you bait float down into the logs because more than likely they'll be resting there in the night fish the back side because the logs cause a natural current break where baitfish will more than likely congregate. both look like really nice spots lemme know how you do on them and good luck

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    me not having a boat, i cant say, but thats prime flathead area,the floats are realy becoming ,talked about, i never used one,but i think i will, soon, but i dont see the differance i floating or on bottem