pics of the 84 pounder!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, May 2, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went fishing below Truman Dam again, fished from my boat and caught this 84 pound blue on April 30th, about 10:30pm, on rod and reel using a 10 inch shad for bait. This is my biggest fish to date, previous was 82 pounds and that was when I just graduated from high school so I'm exited. Pics kind of suck and don't do the fish justice, hauled a** back to the boat ramp and found these two old guys that know nothing about digital cameras and had them take the pics since I was by myself. Fish was released to be caught another day at Drake Harbor. If you notice the fins are as big as my hands, it was all I could do to hold this thing up! Weighed it on my Bass Pro 100 pound spring scale which has always been accurate, got it to 70 pounds in the boat before I ever got it off the floor so I decided to run to Drake Harbor and get a total weight there. I'm guessing at least 10 pounds of eggs. Enjoy, Chris

Attached Files:

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Nice fish Chris! Congrats, and thanks for the report.

3. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    That is one impressive blue cat Chris! Good Job!

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Oh, forgot about the two rednecks that I about had a serious fight with who were trying to grab the fish before it swam off at the boat ramp. They were intent on taking it home with them but luckily I was able to get it to take off before they could get to it. Some people just kill me! Chris

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    congrats on the great fish and good job on the quick release!

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THANKS FOR THE PIC'S NICE LOOKING CATCH:big_smile:

7. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Dont you just love those blue's? Very nice fish man.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    just great to see big fish like that how long did it take to reel in

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Great fish Chris. I hope to get one that big this season. :big_smile:

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's one nice fish! Congrats and glad to see it get released for someone else to have a chance at her! Hope the rednecks don't get her or it sounds like she might be dead.

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Nice job ,are you going to make it to the gathering ?

13. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I might make the gathering, not sure what I have going yet. Took about 20 minutes to get it to the boat then the fun just started. Being by myself sucked, got it to the boat then couldn't keep it off the bottom, pulled the prop out of the water then got the net ready, then after I got it tired it started swimming back and forth but would barely fit in the net. I use a Ranger 985 net which is 34" x 31" x 48" deep. Got its head in but couldn't get the rest in, finally flopped in the net so I folded the net sideways and took a break. I was afraid the net would rip out so I grapped a gill and the rim of the net at the same time and rolled it in the boat. Tried to weigh it and when I saw 70# I knew it was big so I pulled anchor and went to Drake Harbor to find someone to take pics, didn't want to wake Spoonfish but probably should have. Weighed it twice at the ramp, got 84# both times, then got pics and let her go. I was using 30 pound big game, 2/0 3 way swivel, 3 ounces of weight, and 40 pound big game leader with an 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hook, 7 foot medium heavy big game rod and an Okuma CL302L baitcaster. Hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Thanks for the replies! Chris

14. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Congrats man...great fish!!!!!

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OUT FREEKIN STANDIN!!!!!!!! Glad it got away!:cool2:

16. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Anytime you need someone to land the fish and help you weigh it let me know ,if i dont have something going on i will head down with you :smile2:

17. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    That is awesome! Thanks for the pics and sharing the details!!!

18. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Nice job Chris. I seen ya coming in at Drake Harbor the next night as we where going out. Once again Great Job.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow!!! What a brute. Do your arms still ache?:smile2:

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is one fine blue cat right there thank you for sharing the pictures with us, looks like you had your self a fun time and a blast glad to hear you caught a good one, keep up the good work and i wish you many more big fish to come.