Picky Pond Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by MattyGfishing, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    In the suburbs of Phoenix, AZ there are small residential ponds stocked with channel catfish. I've fished there many times with whole crawlers, twelve pound test and a size #4 baitholder hook. And I have only had a few small bites and NO FISH. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The next thing that i would try would be chinken liver or bait shrimp. One thing you can do to make the liver stay on the hook better is lay it out on a flat surface in the sun with some garlic salt on it. It makes it a little tougher. but i use it straight out of the container also. hope this helps

3. Tailgunner

Tailgunner New Member

State:
    CA.
    Gary taught me a neat trick w/ livers... Just wrap some thread around it to keep it on your hook.. No need to tie it on, just wrap.. Other baits that have worked for me are hotdogs & a paste bait (stink) like Doc's..

Good Luck!!

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Raw Garlic shrimp is a winner for me at those ponds..

* Or, Good 'ol night crawlers will catch anything that is hungry.

5. shortbed454

shortbed454 New Member

State:
    az
    hows everyone doing. i just found this site and i love it. as for the ponds, i have been fishing them for a long time only because i don't have a boat to get out on a lake/river. i have only ever caught one catfish out of the urban ponds. i personally think they are over fished and under stocked.

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I fish the Gilbert lakes with live minnows and the cats love'em. Adjust a slip bobber just off the bottom and make sure your fishing deep enough on hot day. One or two minnows depending on size does great. I think the key is to float them up enough to be seen (a foot or so). If not fishing with a bobber I still use minnows with a sliding sinker and a pair of size 6 worm hooks they have barbs which help keep the wigglers on. This rig go with mini marshmellows above the hook slide it up on the leader put the minnow on and then pull the mellow back to the hook, this will make the minnows float. Use one short leader and one long leader the long leader gets the mellow the short leader just minnow. This will prevent the tangles you would get if you floated both hooks. Also chum a little corn in your hole to get things stirred up. Good luck and fish on!! td

7. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We always use hotdogs or pepperoni in small ponds.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Cheap azze hot dogs work the best. Plus they make good muncchies.:wink:

9. geter done gee

geter done gee New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have always used charlies blood bait b with galic powder i have never been skunked with this bait at the urban ponds.

10. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    Try #2 baitholder and 8 to 10 pound test and mackrel or catfish charlies shad dip bait on a dip worm. I out fish hotdoggers like crazy with these baits. 4 of us limited last night on these baits and thats like 4 days after they stocked it this last week. But the wind might have saved us some fish this week. It is pretty key to keep an eye on your lake because fishing is usually only good like 3 to 5 days after the stocking. Good luck man don't get discouraged keep you line wet and try everything people tell you to. because damn near anything will catch those fish.

11. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I am down here in Tucson and usually use worms. but lately I've been using some Blood bait from walmart that comes in doughballs. it works pretty dang good. I took my little jon boat out and dropped line right under me. it was about 30 ft. deep. I took a second "blood ball" and crumbled it and dropped it straight down with the line. Got a little white channel within 5 minutes. considering I had been there for 1.5 hours already I am not sure what to make of it.:confused2: but I had to leave right after so I will try the same thing again as soon as I can get my boat to stop leaking:wink:

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    in urban ponds they stock, i heard they feed the catfish hotdog pieces while they are growing, before stocking the ponds. I have caught alot of channels with hotdogs,garlicsalt,strawberry koolaide and parmasen cheese, like you put on pizza. Mix that all up in a mason jar and there ya go. Seems to me they love um. Sometimes ill have four poles going at once. Maybe that will help, jus thought id offer. Good luck

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Picky pond catfish, I have fished for a few of them. Stocked catfish, expect to be fed, by that I mean they are fed at a certain time of the day, just like you would live stock, before being stocked. The thing here is try and find out when they were being fed, morning, noon or night. If you cant find that out you can cheat a little, if I am just lazy, dont want to sit and fish for a day or so with out any steady bites, I will establish my own feeding patterns. Dry dog food works the best, just take a lb or so, and go to a place where you want to fish and start chumming. Do this for a week or so, then come back and fish the same time you were "feeding them".

Also a killer tactic, is take some chicken liver, and let it turn to a "Green state". My buddy use to do this, and he would out fish me 3 to 1, I couldnt handle the smell, I would almost throw up every time he opened his bucket of chicken liver, so I never used it. So I just fished with straight chicken liver. I also like to use perch caught from the same pond, I only use the heads, depending on the size of the catfish being caught. I have some old catfish ponds that I fish, that were stocked 15-20, 10-15, 5-10 years ago and some recently stocked ones. The channel range anywhere from 15 lbs down to fiddlers, so in the older pounds the perch heads work great.