Picky Pond Catfish

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by MattyGfishing, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    In the suburbs of Phoenix, AZ there are small residential ponds stocked with channel catfish. I've fished there many times with whole crawlers, twelve pound test and a size #4 baitholder hook. And I have only had a few small bites and NO FISH. Am I doing something wrong?

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    you might be having a problem with bluegill. try switching to cutbait or chicken livers on a circle hook

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Try usein what ever folks toss in the water to feed em. I'm sure it happens and they have developed a taste for it. :wink:

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Yeah, i dont care what kind of fish you are fishing for, find out what they eat, and you will have better luck catching them.

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    There are many possible problems. some things we do not know;

how cold the pond is? channel catfish eat sporadically in the cold

how clear the pond is? It is easy to scare fish in a clear pond

how heavy your outfit is? a heavy outfit is insensitive to light bites and can spook fish under clear conditions

how fertile the pond is? more food= pickier fish

Cover/depth? whether you've carefully checked the pond for 'honey holes'

Are you keeping your worm on the bottom, suspended off the bottom , or our casting and retrieving it? Experiment

Under what conditions have you tried this? the very best time to use worms is shortly after a rain. I have caught all kinds of fish that will not hit worms under other conditions then. I've even caught little northern pike:eek:oooh:

Lastly, How sure are you that there are 'lots of channel catfish' in there? sometimes rumor and people opinion isn't so correct. Perhaps people are 'catching catfish' faster than their stocking it? or maybe even there is no stocking at all???:tounge_out:(its happened bro, that the supposed big stocking was just word of mouth non-sense)

BUT, my guess is that THERE IS channel catfish and that you've just stumbled onto some very well feed fish; so your going to have to guess and got it all the answers right before your regularly catch

6. wolfeyes34

wolfeyes34 New Member

State:
    cannon,kentucky
    I dont know much about that region but when all else fails use green worms.(stinky)

7. Peregrinus_Elkhart

Peregrinus_Elkhart New Member

State:
    Indiana
    try using some cut bait if its channels your after. i find that crawlers are offly hit or miss for cats

8. Savage

Savage New Member

State:
    flatwoods, ky
    id get some secret seven and have at'em.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Drop down to a #2-3 octopus, using (small) whole bluegills= 1-1 1/2" or use only the heads hooked through the eyes. Always catch's them from the ponds as well as the meat filleted from them also. floating them half the depth of the pond around structure if any.You'll catch-em..

10. VideoGuy

VideoGuy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I agree with Peregrinus_Elkhart - crawlers are just too hit or miss. Skipjack is my choice!

James