Picky catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Sep 4, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sunday i went to my friends pond to catch some bluegill for cut bait. i was just using worm and a cork. i got 10 gills and 2 HUGE minnows i dont know how they got in the pond but they was 5 to 6 inches long and 2 inches tall. i used them in the ohio river chopped head and tail off and threw it out. first 5 minutes caught 6 lb blue 5 min later 4 lb blue then little later 2 lb channel. had blue gill and shad guts and crawlers on my other poles in same spot and never got a bite. to bad i only had two big minnows cause never got bite when they was gone. wonder why they wouldnt eat anything else.

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sometimes them fish are picky. I fished with shad, dip bait, and minnows one night. I sat for 4 hours without even a bite. A couple of guys came by and asked if I wanted their leftover bait. They gave me some perch and 2 chubs. I cut the head an tail off the chubs and caught 5 blues within 1 hour on them 2 chubs. They wouldn't bite on anything else.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have had several guides tell me that most catfish are feeding on something at any given time. For instance they may be on clam or snail beds today, next week they may be eating dead shad, next week or month chasing balls of baitfish.
    What ever they get their brains wrapped around is what they will bite. If the bait is too big or to wiggly or smells funny they won't bite. The easier it is to find food the harder it is to please them.
    We were at Santee Cooper and I was fishing with a guide down there. He was cutting the blue back herring down to small chunks. When I questioned him about it he told me the blues were feeding on snail beds at that times mostly. Snails, he explained, are small. he baited several lines with whole blue backs, some alive, some dead, hoping for a flathead. We got zero bites on the whole herring. The lines with small chunks tore them up. Over 150 lbs of blues in 8 hours.

The trick is to find out what presentation they want, what size and what bait. Knowledge of the fish's habits thru the year and in that lake or river really helps but nothing works like....well....... what works.

:wink:

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If anyone could forsee the wants of catfish they could publish a magazine monthly and never have to work a straight 8 ever again. Who knows what they think at any given time. That is why it is called fishing. Just plain ole trial and error.

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yea i use to think catfish was like a dog no matter how full a dog is if you throw it a snack it will eat it. how wrong i was. guess i will just have to take more diff kind of baits with me. they been hitting slow down here on the ohio river wish it would pick up soon.