Pickwick

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Longbow63, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Longbow63

Longbow63 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It has been years since my crew has been to Pickwick. With that said, we were there over the weekend and fished where we have in the past, which is near the river from Bear Creek down almost to JP Coleman. We soaked several lines (125 hooks) for two days, and offered up fresh cut bait (bream), doctored up hot dogs, shrimp, and livers, and store bought shad of some type. We never caught a fish on any of the lines.

We also soaked about 100 Free Floaters one night and only caught about 10 smaller catfish (i.e., all blues less than 5 ponders). We used live bream and the average fishing depth on most of the floaters was about 5 feet. We did have a few set more shallow and few a little deeper. All the catfish came from the 5-footers. Happy to have 10 of these good eats but we were a little disappointed. At the skinning table we noted the fish had lots of fat. They are eating pretty good on something. We also had an older gentleman tell us that some type of insect/bugs had recently hatched and that the catfish were feeding heavy on those right now.

Anyone familiar with what type insect he may have been talking about.

I'm a new member and glad to be part of BOC.

Thanks,

Kirk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Well welcome to the BOC where catfishing is part if not all of our life. :wink::smile2:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
  4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We had a big mayfly hatch, when that happens everything is feeding like mad on them.
    Most times fish are in the shallows during that time. Shoot its not uncommon to catch big blues in 3 or 4 of water near over hanging trees.
    Also welcome to the BOC.
    Pete