pickwick

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by littlebigman, Feb 8, 2009.

1. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i went down to pickwick yesterday and didnt even get a bite, but im going out again today. i was just wondering if anyone has been catching anything.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    not yet i been working to much i need to go maybe next weakend

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Forrest the fish should be down river from Savannah. Go down to Coffee landing and fish the middle of the river there. Or out from the Old Sq concrete deal. The blues like that spot.
    Also fish out from the old boat ramp there, Along the rock ledge there. Should be able to get a few big blues there. If you have Skipjack that is.
    How did you do today?
    Pete

4. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i went out in my boat on the lake side and didnt get a bite over there either.

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My cousin fished Pickwick Friday and Saturday and never got a bite either. He talked to someone who works there at the dam and the guy said there was a huge shad kill. I would say the fish were gorged on shad. Hence no bites. Said he tryed different baits, big baits, little baits, and different size hooks.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hopefully you will be able to catch a few next time out. I am sure hoping that my luck changes soon also

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you go back to the lake. Fish above the first cove or between the 1st and second cove around 60ft deep. Or go up to the Point of 209.6 theres a light there on the point I catch some good fish there.
    Need to get you and your dad and go fishing soon.
    Pete

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was talking to a guy in Savanah Monday and he was talking about the shad kill too. he was saying we had three huge shad kills this year. What causes that?
    smokey

9. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    im not to sure but i would say the cold weather like when it freezes.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joe we have 3 or 4 warm days. The shallow water warms up then the shad move shallow. As its like us turning on the heater. Only 5 to 10 degrees makes it feel great.
    Then we have a bad drop in temps. It gets below freezing then the shad minnows are in shock. So they start dieing off. The fast temp drop does it every time. Now if we don't have those few warm days we will go all winter without a big shad kill. I remember one time back around 1978 we had one about every other week the while winter.
    Pete

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It seems that the shad kill is always in shallow water, 2-10ft. I am not sure but the shad kill may not be all bad. A few weeks ago I fished the Tenn river in Benton Co. I caught maybe 40 cats. All 3-18lbs. They were holding on a ledge where the mouth of a creek meets the river channel. The creek was full of dead shad and the creek was @8ft deep. The river was falling and drawing the water out of the creek. I assume that the cats were holding on that ledge from 8-25ft feeding on the shad washing out of the creek. In the winter I have fished below Pickwick a couple dozen times from the dam to Saltillo and have yet to catch a fish or get a bite. I am just learning so I don't know much. I have also fished above Pickwick a few times (3 or 4) in the winter and not got a bite there either. I am sure that there are good cats and numbers to be caught both above and below Pickwick in the winter just haven't figured it out yet. The fish I caught the other week were the first I've caught in the winter on the Tenn river and just so happens thats the first time I've fished that spot. Maybe that'll help someone the next time there's a shad kill. Good luck to all.