Pickwick Skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by DemolitionMan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'm hoping to get a good forum started about skipjack....I think those shad people are getting all the attention.....

First of all....Can anyone tell me when/where the best skipjack fishing is in Pickwick or other Tn damns.....I've ordered me a years non-resident license and was courious as to the best places/times....I live closer to Pickwick than I do the big Mississippi rez's/damns....Help me out here.....Dwight

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Last time I was at the dam. The skip jack were tearing it up.
    That was from a boat, Out along the wing wall by the boils.

From the bank if the boils are on fish where the water comes back to the dam right below it.
    Or down river where the first trees are on the bank. Below the parking lot. Theres a little spot that you can pull off and park. There's a point there and that is the best spot for me on the bank to catch them..
    But if there's no current you may just make a burnt trip.
    Check this link and it will tell when the current is on there.
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=PKH&DataType=All&submit=View+info
    Pete

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info, Shiloh Red.....I put the link in favorites and I'll ride up there when I get my licences and see what's up.....I hear 1/32oz crappie jigs is what makes em bite....How many can you have on a rig????In Mississippi, we can only have 2.....Thanks again, Dwight

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I normally use a couple of crappie jigs when the skippies are running big, because two of those bruisers on your line at once is all you want; 2 will frequently break 10# test line. Size can be anything from a hook with some dressing to 1/8 oz. jigs. Some folks like using sabiki rigs. Skipjack run big in the spring; according to Pete, they run considerably smaller in the fall, so you could easily use three jigs.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info, guys.....When I said "license", I meant Tn fishing license....lol...That way, I can fish both side and all around, except alabama.....Pete, you save some of those "Jacks" for me now.....Dwight

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You can even fish Al Shoot with Tn fishing license I can fish to Bear creek. But not bear creek.
    Pete

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    You saying you don't have Alabama license, I'm assuming....That's the only Bear Creek I know of....The only fishing I've done around Pickwick was as a kid....I'm sure it shows....lol....Dwight

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is with only Tn license only I can even fish all of Yellow creek up to HWY 25 bridge.
    Yes Bear Creek on the Lake above the dam be me being from Tn I have to stop at the mouth of Bear creek. With MS license you can fish to the dam. But not below the dam. And also You being from MS can even fish all of Bear creak. But not above the R/R crossing.

Also theres skip jack to caught above the dam also.
    Pete

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Pete,

Thanks for the info, bro....I love that whole area up in that region, always have....Best Wishes to you and yours....Dwight

10. kenny cannon

kenny cannon New Member

State:
    kansas
    went last year to carage tenn. got 200lbs of herring had a real good time also fished for stripers it was a lot of fun it was june 25 -29 cannon

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    cannon,

Thanks for the info...200lbs would do me ten years....Of course, where I fish on the old Tombigbee river I'm sure my little fishing buddy would be glad to eat em up, so I might oughta get around 500lbs for his/her sake....My little fishin buddy is a coon that comes out of the river bottom and helps me out with whatever bait I'm using....lol...Where's that place in Tn????Dwight

12. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The cumberland City Steam plant is one of the BEST places that I have found to catch skipjack. They have a walkway over the outlet so you can get to all the boils there. When they are runnig there, I can catch prob 20-30 pounds an hour. I usually use sabiki rigs or 1-2" twirl tail grubs.

good luck, Jesse

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Every time you refreeze the skipjack, they deteriorate in qualilty. I'll refreeze them once, maybe even twice; after that, I don't use them for bait any more.

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ya the steam plant is usaully a gopod place for skips but here lately I can't find any, we need some rain get the current flowing again

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Take some of our current from the Arkansas---PLEASE! The level should have gotten down to normal a month ago, and it's still too high to be safe on the water.

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    We need all the rain we can get around here....Been raining the last couple of days....I've been up in the Upper Pennsiula of Michigan this week and it's seems to be raining everywhere....Dwight

17. tigerinfielder3

tigerinfielder3 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    anybody ever catch skipjack at the pickwick dam during feb?