pickwick report.

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by jug, Dec 2, 2007.

1. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i went to pickwick friday. wanted to catch some skipjack for bait. did not catch one skippy. but the stripe were running. dont know how many i caught. guessing 60 or so in about 2hrs or so. every other cast no matter what kind of bait you used. caught stripe till got tired of it. then started experimenting. tried 4 color jigs, 4 color spoons, 2color ratltle trap, and one crank bait. stripe bit them all. talked to another fisherman. he said still no luck on sauger behind the dam. maybe still a little early. oh by the way real good size stripe on silver spoon. some of the biggest ive ever caught.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Definitely makes me want to go to Pickwick!

3. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i enjoyed it. even though its not what i went for. in the past i would quit fishing by november but thought i would try year round this year. well see how it goes.

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will be heading down to Pickwick as soon, as I can get my wifes tongue unstuck from the tailgate of my truck:big_smile::big_smile.I havent seen the river this high in the 4 mths that we have lived here. smokey

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One skipjack about 15 inches long.and about 8or 9 white bass,that was about it. smokey

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Smokey, you must not have been holdin your mouth right buddy.LOL

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What happened to all those stripers?

8. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    anybody know how far it is from western nc to pickwick? it takes me about 2 hours down 40 to get to the loudon dam and i like fishing it but u cant eat the fish so id like to focus my effort on watts bar dam and maybe acouple other places

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its 8 hours from Asheville To the boat Ramp at Pickwick dam. Or 440 miles.
    Pete

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jerry when the water temp gets 48 to 50 degrees they move down river 10 to 15 miles and feed there.
    Pete

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Jermey if you want to get into good cats and strips then you need to go to chick dam or nickajack in chattanooga. It would be close and the fish can be eaten. I would not eat a fish from Watts bar. If you decide you want to go there then I can tell you some good places to fish.

12. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks bubbakat for the help. how far past loudon are the places u are talking about? ive heard a lot of good stuff about them . maybe as it gets closer to time i can get ahold of u by phone and we can discuss the best places and how to get shad and skipjacks there and the best places to get bait. i really appreciate it as the people here that go down ther wont tell u anything at all cuz u might catch a fish out of there hole

13. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    went back to pickwick yesterday. hoping to catch a few sauger but did not there was no current at all. no turbins running. caught some stripe late in the afternoon. bu not as many as the last trip. i was told a few sauger being caught below the dam. i didnt have any luck could have been no flowing water. not sure

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yahoo says it's 220 miles from Asheville to Chattanooga, but it's showing a route through Knoxville; looks to me like it would be a lot shorter to go by way of hwy 74.
    If you're needing to stock your freezer, I recommend jugfishing the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee between Chattanooga and Nickajack. It's a beautiful float, and the fishing's good. The water's really deep through there, though, so you need to make your juglines 40'-50' long. You can launch your boat just below the Racoon Mountain pumping station, motor upstream, drop your jugs, and float back to the ramp.

15. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jerry, there is a warning on the fish in the River Gorge because of Chattanooga Creek, I thought you might want to know.

I checked our odometer the last time we went to Pickwick and it is 222 miles from our driveway to the campground at Pickwick.

16. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    so jim if u live in chattanooga and its 222 miles for u that makes it about 420 miles for me. thats a long way to fish and a feller mite drive by some good cats on the way. thanks though any help is appreciated

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jeremy, the fishing don't get much better than Chickamauga or Nickajack. We love fishing at Pickwick but we can catch as many and as big fish here. You can eat the fish at Chickamauga. Wherever you decide to fish we hope you catch some big ole boys.

18. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fish i thank you for the help did u get my message? sounds like i was right about driving by good cats on the way to pickwick ill be checking out chickamauga

19. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    paul lawrence i sent you a reply on your private message. let me know if you got it. not sure if i done it right. thanks

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sauger were and still should be down river. Up river from River Hights and in 35 to 40ft of water.
    Here is a link to the water release at pickwick/
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=PKH&DataType=All&submit=View+info
    Pete