Pickwick / Kentucky Lake

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Catwagon, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I see that Pickwick is spilling like crazy right now (1-23-06) and because of that Kentucky lake shot up four feet over two days. I've never seen it quite like this if memory serves.

I calculated the waterflow at Pickwick and 169,000 cubic feet per second actually comes out to 1,265,369 gallons per second. Geeze, that must be an impressive sight!

I've only lived here in TN for two years and I need to ask one of you local boys how this is going to effect the fish, especially the catfish. Is now a good time to go, do I need to wait, adjust my tactics?

Steve

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As the old saying gos.. You have not seen anything yet.. LOL
    Its still coming.
    Best I have seen is 19ft from one evening until the next morning. They pull the bottom gates and the top ones. The Dam get to shaking. That was in Winter of 1972-73.
    AS of a few minutes ago it was 171,500 wait until its get around 300,000 then its rocking.
    Pete

3. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    If anyone knows that crazy pete know pickwick. Pete have a great time at fish and camp my friend.

4. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Man you need an Ark for that water..lol

5. memphis-cat

memphis-cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    any tips on fishing that current?

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When the flood gates are open find a spot that had grass on it. As when the water covers it the Catfish flood it. Its like us on a buffet. LOL
    They eat all they can.
    Also any slack current.
    Pete

7. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Hi guys, I going to be fishing picwick/wilson lakes in Oct. for catfish just wanted to know if u had any advice for a Miss. river fisherman from IL.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't seen it high like that, but I remember finding a jug 4' up in a tree at the back of the TVA campground, and it's pretty high up above the regular level of the river.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Jerry it can and has been 8ft deep at the bathroom there at the campgrounds.

elfow Wish I could help you out. but I fish the Pickwick Tn end of the lake.
    There is one or 2 on there that fish that end. I would go to the Al section and post theres someone on there that will help you out.
    Pete