Pickwick Dam Saugers

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Wilbur T., Jan 22, 2009.

1. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anybody have a recent report on what the saugers are doing below Pickwick? I know the dam was spilling for a while and probably stalled a lot of fishing efforts.

2. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    im gonna try to get down there this sat. and try to catch some. But ill let you know how i do when i get back.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Saturday hundreds of boats out fishing. Not a lot caught. I have a buddy him and one more guy, fished for 7 hours 2 Sauger.
    Also this coming weekend is the Sauger Tournament so there will be boats everywhere.
    From what I have been hearing the fish are starting to pick up. Then the flood gates kick in. And a cold front then a shad kill. We have had 2 big shad kills this winter. I was out Jan 01. Fished 5 hours 1 small sauger. Shad minnows were everywhere. Right now its hit or miss. But should turn on in the next 2 weeks. And only get better for the next 6 or 7 weeks.
    Pete

4. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies. My wife and I pulled the boat over and tried it last weekend. One hit in 9 total hours of fishing (Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning). We jigged mostly, but I did try a few minnows on 3-way rigs. Pretty slow. I only saw three fish caught all weekend.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If you hit with a shad kill. Catch some of the minnows that are dead and just enough sinker on bottom to keep the feel of the bottom. Add about a 3 ft leader to a 3 way swivel. Then your hook and minnow. This works great, as the long leader allows the minnow to fall natural. The sauger love it along with the catfish.
    Also most of the fish are down river of Savannah now. But should be moving back up this week. Unless we have a shad kill again tonight. And it may well happen again tonight. Also most are catching them in 40+ of water.
    Pete

6. Wilbur T.

Wilbur T. New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I figured they'd be deep, and tried to stay in 40+ feet most of the time. But if the fish are down around Savannah (have to think about phrasing that since Savannah is north), that would explain a lot. We didn't run quite that far.

I really appreciate the help.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not a problem. I know how it is. I have had to run 30 miles in a day to hit them before. But if you can fish a few days, where your in touch with them. It sure makes the search a lot better.
    Yes it does, When down river means heading north. You have to stop and think. LOL Don't know how many times. I have seen people put in at Savannah. And say were heading toward Pickwick Dam. And head north. LOL Next day Ky Dam LOL
    Pete