Pickwick and Wilson

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by FLATHEADJOE, Jan 15, 2006.

1. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey guys im a new member here and need some info on pickwick lake and Wilson lake have never been to either and will be fishing it this year sometime not sure when yet.any info would be appriciated and or any links that might be helpful usually target bigger fish(20lbs and up)and all my fish are catch and release.Thanks

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Both are great spots to fish, I mainly fish below the dams during generation periods. Never fished the lakes much, but may spend more time on them this year. Drift fish most of the time below the dams. And welcome to the board.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The skipjack and stripers are generally thick around the last of April & first of May.

4. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey guys were figuring on coming the beginning of october can you give me some more info about the lake.is it more river than lake? and how often do they pull water?is it mostly blues or can you get flatheads? thx i really cant find to much info ive talked to a few guides and just want to try and get a game plan for when we get there.thanks Joe. would also be interested in fishing with you guys when we get there.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I take it your going to be fishing the ALl end of Pickwick? Florence AL?
    Pickwick lake near there more lake. You have the part near Wilson dam that is somewhat like a river. But not for long. It turns into lake water fast. Lots of islands and humps and points.
    In Oct the blues should be feeding good. If it were me I would look for deep water points and bluffs. Find a bluff that falls off into deep water and you find the fish.
    Now you can catch both Blues and Flatheads there. But a better chance at blues.
    Best fishing is with current. And most of the current is during the week. Most weekends there light or no cuurrent.
    Here is a link to the water discharge there.
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=WLH&DataType=All&submit=View+info
    That is Wilson, To the right is all the dams all along the river.

Pete

6. birdnest

birdnest New Member

I have been living just up the road from you on the downsteam end of Wheeler. I have only been here since September so I caught the fall season and a few times this winter. I have been fishing in the Elk River at Hwy 72 off the bank and have done o.k. (Usually 2-3 channels 2-5# a piece). Biggest so far there has been a 13# blue. Just brought my kayak from home over the Christmas holiday so I hope to spend more time on the water soon. I tried fishing the tailwater below Wheeler when they were running two generators, but without being in a boat (bigger than my kayak) I can't figure it out. Looks to be ~8 to 10 knot current. Can't get anything to the bottom unless I guess your drifting with it. From the bank or anchored I'm guessing about 5- 8 oz of sinker to get there, then kiss it good-bye to the rip-rap. Maybe if I hit it just after they shut her down, but still a lot of chum stirred up.
    I hear Second Creek past Rogersville is suppose to hold some decent whiskers, but I don't know exactly which way to go from hwy 72??? Any help would be appreciated.
    Lotza Luck and tightlines,
    Birdnest

7. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Birdnest: There is some shore fishing at Second Creek,along Rt. 72. Also, go to the traffic light at Elgin, and turn right onto 101 South. There is a parking lot just before the dam. (on the left). You can walk down to the very end of Second Creek, where it enters Wheeler. Send an E-Mail if you want to fish out of my boat sometime. Tight lines, Fast Frank

8. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Sorry Birdnest: If you are driving West on 72, you would turn left at 101. About 2 miles, just before the dam, there is a small car parking area, on the left. That's where Second Creek enters Lake Wheeler. It's possible to shore fish there. You can see the locks nearby.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    FastFrank what does your profile fish weight?
    I'm down river from you at pickwick dam.
    Also do you ever fish the main point at Wheeler lake state park. there when you come out into the main lake?
    Sure caught a boat load of bass there when I used to bass fish. In 30 minutes 2 of us had 8 fish friom 9 lb to 4 lbs from there. WAy out on the end of it. Using 20+ crankbaits. Alos caught a few nice blues there on a later trip on the deep crankbaits.

Pete

10. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Shiloh: My scale was at the boat launch, about 4 miles away from where I caught the profile fish. He was 53" long, and the BOC brothers estimated around 75 to 80 lbs. I fish different areas of Wheeler. I was down Cain Creek on Tues. (The powerplant area near Cherokee). I tried for skipjack, but struck out. I'm going to try fishing Wilson, maybe next week.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks I hope to bring back a cooler full of skipjacks this weekend from the Cumberland river.
    Pete

12. birdnest

birdnest New Member

Thanx for the tip FastFrank. I have heard of some decent fishing at Second Creek. I finally got my Kayak cranking last weekend and tried drift fishing the Elk River from Hwy 72 upstream to the first turn (~1-1 1/2 miles?). Turned out to be a nice boat ride. Was trying some of those Strike King Dynamite little sausage looking things. Didn't even get a nibble, but like I said, it was still a great day to be on the water. I suppose I should have known better as almost all the cattle I saw on my way to the water were lying down. Still wanted to try out the new battery for the trolling motor. With a top end of about 3-5 mph, I really don't get to cover a lot of water. I have heard that if you put in at Second Creek and head toword the lake there are some bluff walls along the east shore that are productive. If the weather holds, I may try it this weekend. I'm hoping as the water temps pick up, the shad will return to the few spots I know of so I can toss the ol cast net a get a few dozen. I always seem to do a lot better with the shad.
    Hope to see ya out there. If you see me I'll be in a 14' kayak w/ a Rip Tide MinnKota trolling motor (Green/camo boat-white motor) Looks more like a canoe/kayak hybrid. It's designed for fishing and hunting rather than paddling which works just fine for me.
    Catch ya later and tight lines,
    Birdnest

13. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Birdnest: If you launch at the 2nd creek boat ramp, (it is located on the side road by Gina Dee's store (closed now) just go under the Rt, 72 bridge and proceed about a quarter mile. The water depth is about 32 ft. there as of last week. The lake is still drawn down. Be careful in that kayak, these waters can be unforgiving. Best place to get minnows is at the Wheeler dam. Cast in the first pond, where the car park is located.

14. birdnest

birdnest New Member

Thanx,
    Now that sounds like some serious help I can use. I ususaly don't get too stupid with the kayak. It is however, probably not quit what you normally expect when you think of a kayak. I has an 800# capacity according to the mfgr. and I can tell you I have had way more stuff in it than I'd ever try to put in my canoe or most small jons.
    I just got a digital camera a couple weeks ago, so if I can figure it out, I'm intending to add my pic w/it to the board so when all y'al red necks see me out there you'll know who it is. I used to use my kayak to pole and sight fish for Reds on the inshore waters of the Gulf between Galviston and Corpus Christi. Pretty sturdy and reliable, plus I always have and usually wear my PFD. My biggest concern is hot rod boaters and especially morons on jet ski's, but I suppose that's a pretty common concern. Have thought about carrying a flare pistol for those horizontal "emergency messages" if you know what I mean.
    If the weather holds, I'll try second creek this weekend or next.
    When you say the first pond, do you mean the real little one right next to the switchyard, or the turning basin?
    Hope to wet a line w/ya some day.
    Tightlines,
    Birdnest

15. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I live 3 miles from the dam. Give me a call when you are going fishing, and I'll show you what you need. 256-247-7983

16. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    When you said minnows at Wheeler dam are talking above or below it?

17. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    We've been getting minnows below the dam. Either in the fist pond when you enter, sometimes in the creek next to the entrance road, and next the the bank of the river.

18. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey pete we are coming to wilson in october was wondering if you were looking for some company or would like to be company for a day when we get there.always like to meet new fishing buddys from wherever we travel and your name has been recommended.hope to hear from ya Joe