Pickled tongue

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Netmanjack, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Help, i need a tried and true pickled tongue recipe. My grand ma made the best, but alas I was errant in getting the recipe. Now all I can do is look on the net, but don't know who to trust. I would feel better if a brother or sister gave me one of their own, or their family's.:sad2::big_smile:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Big ol mouth full of shine. Hold your nose and shake your head for a minute or so, repeat as needed.....:big_smile:

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    See there Jack, easier than you thought. LOL

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess that would be easer, you dumb butts! lmao :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

5. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check with some local ie: small town meat stores- many times they will have knowledge of how or know some one who does
    Howard M Galloway, OH

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL!

That was good.. :smile2:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Tongue?? Yuck! I wouldn't eat anything that came out of an animals mouth!

Give me a couple of eggs, any ol day.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    1. Place tongue in pan and cover tongue with water
    2. Put 1 tsp of pickling spice in a mesh cooking baggie and put in the pot. (cheese cloth with a twist tie works well)
    3. Add 1 tsp of salt to pot.
    4. Bring to a boil and cook until it is tender enough that a fork goes in it real easy.
    5. Take tongue out of pan and let it cool on a plate until you can handle it.
    6. Remove the broth from the pot. Save the broth, you will reuse some of it. Throw the mesh baggie of pickling spice away.
    7. Peel skin off the tongue and throw the skin away. ( The dog really likes the skin)
    8. Slice tongue into 1/4" think slices
    9. Put the sliced tongue back in the pot.
    10. Pour your broth back into the pot 1 cup at a time until the tongue is covered with broth. Discard the remaining broth.
    11. Add 1/4 cut of vinegar for ever cup of broth you put back in the pot.
    12. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
    13. Remove from stove.
    14. Put it in a seal able (Rubbermaid) container and put in the fridge overnight. You can add more vinegar now depending on how "pickled" you like your tongue.
    15. After it has cooled all night in the fridge, you are ready to enjoy.

This is my grandma's recipe and it is really good. I guess only 2 out of 27,000 members like pickled tongue :smile2: Enjoy.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cant say,as I never even heard of it till Jack posted this. I aint squeemish enough that I wouldn't try it at least once though.:wink:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rich, I can tell by your plane old cowboy demeanor that you will love it! lol
    There are very few things in this world that make my mouth water just thinking about them. Pickled tongue is one of them.. I wouldn't steer you wrong. :wink:

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Jack, you can pickle heart the same way .I grewup eating both and pickle the tongue and heart from my deer.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Dale, but no thanks. I would never ruin a good heart by pickling it lol I like mine roasted with raisin sauce, oh yeah! :big_smile:

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ever watch a cow eat grass? They stick that tongue out and wrap it around a clump if there is a clump. Gotta be someplace where grass actually grows, like Iowa. Otherwise they grab it with their teeth, then they eat rocks too.

Know how much muscle it takes to make that tongue work like that? Lots and lots. Lots and lots of muscle equals lots and lots of MEAT! What's a matter you Daniel Boone types on here don't like MEAT! Beats fish any day of the week.

Try this with a good Bohemian dill potato soup.

Buy a whole beef tongue from some real butcher. Straka probably could help ya. Take it home, flop it on the counter and wash it.

Make your brine =
    5 quarts water, 1 lb light brown sugar, 1 lb salt, 1 tsp peppercorns, 5 cloves, 4 bay leaves. Dump this all in a Dutch Oven, crank the gas and heat it until the sugar is dissolved, then cool it.

Grab one of Momma good plastic containers that will hold the tongue. Put the tongue in the container and cover completely the tongue with the brine solution. Slap the lid on it and put it in the refrigerator a week to 10 days. Shake it up once in awhile.

After the time is up take the tongue out and rinse it good. Put it back in the cleaned plastic container and cover it with water. Do not use tap water. Buy some expensive water from Wal-mart or use hard water. Leave it in this container 36 hours, changing the water every 12 hours.

Now you MEAT lovers are good to go.

I like to crock pot it in just water. You can veggie it up if you want. Carrots and junk like that. Basically you are poaching it, (it is cooked, don't puke here). After cooking, take it out, remove the "skin" slice it and eat it however you like. Really makes good sandwiches for when you aren't catching any fish on that expensive fishing beer drinking trip.

14. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    John the only thing I can add is, put a good homemade horseradish (not sauce) on a tongue sandwich. The old germans ate every thing but the moo. and I bet if they could have figured out a way to cook it, they would have!!! Ah where have the good times gone. I sure miss the old ways and old people, now long gone

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    id rather eat from the end the food goes in rather than what comes:smile2::smile2: out the back

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for bringing this back up Slim. I'm going to try Grimpuppys recipe first, then John's. When I do PB's I think I have a side of hot German potato salad along with it. :wink:

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .....my ex-mother-in-law used to cook a mean tongue (and had a slanderous one to boot), but I've never had it since............... my curiosity's up now.