Pickled shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by EasternWAcatfan, Jun 20, 2009.

1. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    Where i live here in Washington there isn't a whole lot of catfish bait at the stores they mainly stock for bass,salmom, and steelhead. I did however run across some pickled shad that was marketed for sturgeon fishing. I was kinda hoping that it would work on the channel cats, has anybody had any luck with pickled baits?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I don't like it, but I can catch fresh shad most of the time. Have you looked at using dip baits like Secert Seven for channels? It work good. Team Catfish has a link on here where you can order it.

3. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I can't really tell you how well it works because I have never used it but I do know this, while it may not be a "go to bait", cats will pretty much eat anything and I simply don't see a reason that pickled shad wouldn't work on them too.

4. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    I am gonna give it a try and see how it works, i haven't tried any dip baits like i said they don't have much for catfishing here in the stores. The only thing i have ever seen is the berkely catfish nuggets. If this stuff works though i got other sturgeon baits that i can buy around here i think they had eel, herring and some other.

Again thanks for the help

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also some guys swear by cut mackeral and fresh squid on the west coast.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never used them but they might work.Only thing about store bought shad is most of the time the oilds and good stuf has been drained from them to make dip bait and other things.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I could have sworn you mentioned having acess to Herring????:eek:oooh::crazy::tounge_out::wink: That would be my choice cats love skips!! I have seen some ethnic folks that pickle shad & herring to eat themselves!!!:eek:oooh: