Pickled Peppers

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by DLB-in-GR, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I tried this recipe last year and loved it. This year I went a little bit overboard, our cool Michigan summer created a bumper crop of 14 lbs of Hungarian Wax and Banana peppers from 17 plants. I took the challenge, I had no idea how much work was ahead of me (many hours). I managed 2 dozen pints, every one sealed. Here is the recipe, and some pics...

Pickled Hungarian Wax Peppers

2 lbs Hungarian Wax or Banana peppers
    4 cups water
    1/3 cup salt
    5 or 6 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    4 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
    3 cups water
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar

Slice the peppers in half lengthwise. Rinse and discard the seeds and interior pulp. Combine the 4 cups of water and the salt until dissolved. In a large glass bowl cover peppers with the salt solution. Let stand overnight. Drain, and rinse well. In a large saucepan combine the 3 cups water, vinegar, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pack peppers in hot clean pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add a clove of garlic to each jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the peppers, stirring the mixture to keep the herbs evenly distributed. Leave 1/2 inch headspace in each jar. Prepare the lids according to the manufacturers directions. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes, start timing when the water returns to boiling. Makes 5 or 6 pints.

Attached Files:

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    A few more pics...

Attached Files:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

LOL! I just had the craziest thought hit me when i saw the title of this thread LOL! { Peter Piper picked a pale of pickled peppers. :smile2: }

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Yeah, I am Peter Piper with my pickled peppers. I have never seen pickled Hungarian Wax peppers for sale, but the fresh ones at the grocery store were $2.89 per pound. I grew 14.2 pounds of organic, I'd say I got my money's worth from the garden... That was only 3 packs of plants from the greenhouse.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL!

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing Doug..Like the pics and WOW thats a lot of peppers..I have jalapenos and cayenne in my garden..My peppers are not quite ready yet but soon..I just cracked open some pickles I made a couple weeks ago..I got dill in my garden too and let me tell ya fresh dill makes a big difference when making pickles..My pickles were AWESOME GOOD..

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Nice work!