Pickled Beets?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by floundahman, Mar 9, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I just received an offer from an outdoor magazine. Enclosed was a "gift" of 10 outdoor tips. Most of them were very good. Then they said that to catch more catfish with worms soak them in pickled beet juice. They said the purpose was to add color to the worm and toughen the skin so the worm stays on the hook better. Has anyone ever tried this or even heard of it before? Seems to me the vinegar may attract fish more than the color from the beets.

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hmm... I dunno, but always thought that fish are colorblind?

The idea of toughening the crawlers up so they stay on the hook better sounds good... but then again, we usually look for more lively worms in order to attract the fish. I'm the one who uses the crawlers and liver, while my husband generally uses cut bait, so I'll give it a try! Thanks, Jim :lol:

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never heard of the sich! Seems to me the vinigar would kill them but then again like Carolyn said I dunno! Sure is something I'd be willing to try but only after I eat the pickled beets. Could,'t stand em as a kid, now I love em. They say or at least I have always heard that Beets are loaded with Iron which in turn is good for your blood. Great tip,I thank you for posting!:big_smile:

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Pat, I agree I'll try it if for no other reason than to eat the beets.:smile2:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of that.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim that sounds like a plan. Eat the beets, soak the worms, see if they attract fish and give us an update. Never heard of it.:lol: :big_smile:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Pickled beets wellllll now that would be fishing with pickled worms:lol:

8. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    sounds good, you can color minnows why not worms? i have even fished pickeled myself a couple of times, or i think thats what i was suposed to be doing.LOL...