picking new (used) boat

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Feb 18, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Leaving out tomorrow afternoon to get my new center console. I have to go to Morristown Tennessee to get her. The only problem is that I'm having my knee scoped at 1:30 and leaving right afterwards. I went to work straight from having it last week, but that's different than setting still for 3 hours.

She's a 16 foot Sea Charmer with a 50 hp Merc (tilt and trim YEA!) and an autopilot trolling motor (double yea!). I'll have to rig rod holders ASAP. I am also looking at a GPS\Fishfinder combo to go on her. I am leaning towards an Eagle \ Lowrance color unit. Lots of folks are telling me that an external antenna is much better. Any thoughts? Also, which is better - Navionics, Hotmaps, or what?

Harper81, It doesn't look like I'll be able to use my rod holder set-up that used to be on your boat, if not I'll give it to you. I'll contact you later this week, we might meet at Murray and fish one day to try out my new rig.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Have a safe trip. I know you'll be on the water qiuck as possible!:wink: Eagle and lowrance are the way to go and the new hot map is great.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Have a safe trip, Steve, and let us know when you get the boat rigged and ready.
    From past experience, you'll probably get along better if you stop enroute a couple of times and move around a little on that knee. :wink:

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys. Tommy, I usually have to stop every hour to move around anyway, due to some other health issues. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

I bought this boat brand new, but traded it a few years ago. I've wanted it back ever since, and finally got the chance. Luckily Dad's best friend had it, so he gave me a shot at it. Sorry to say he lost his foot in an accident so he needs a little different boat to meet his needs. One of the conditions of the sell is for me to take him out a couple days to teach him how I drift. Tough sales conditions, huh.

God Bless All,
    Steve

5. Larry D

Larry D New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have a safe trip and congratulations on the new boat. BPS has some nice GPS combos on sale this week.
    I have to have my knee done now and then,it a pain

6. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    steve i just got the new hot maps 09 its way better than my old one,and lowrance is the only way to go ,and get a color one you wont be sorry

7. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Hey congrats on the new boat. Hope your knee is getting better. I have some rod holders you might want to look at. Give me a call next week. Have a safe trip.

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Scott, good to hear from you. I haven't been to Monty lately, so I haven't been by. I probably will try to get down there soon, so I may be calling on you.

Steve

9. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Have a safe trip and I hope U enjoy your boat.
    PEEDEE CAT

10. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve, Takin a boat from a guy with one foot!:eek:oooh: Man, you rough Bro.!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

Sounds like a great rig and I have a really nice decal for ya to put on the console. Bring it to Murray and I might be able to come out and play too!!

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Got her home this PM. I've been putting on rod holders and stowing my gear inside. Can't wait to use her. Hmmm, whats the weather on Murray tomorrow?

I'll try to post pictures soon.

God Bless All,
    Steve

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats on the boat. cant wait to see the pics

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Steve, here is my advice on the sonar unit.

Spend the extra money on a Lowrance unit and get as many watts as you can afford. The Eagle units are around 1500 watts, and the better Lowrance units are in the 4000 watt range.

Billfish76 and myself both owned Eagle units and liked them, but once we purchased a Lowrance we were stunned, amazed...just plain happier! :smile2:

The increased wattage makes a difference. Usually the higher wattage units have more resolution also, and this helps with distinguishing brush piles from bait balls.

Lowrance has introduced their new HD units, so now many of their non-HD units are on clearance. Billfish76 and myself found a Lowrance LCX-27 for $699 through Cabelas.

14. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I just got the HDS5 and it only puts out 250watts with the broadband which they say is 30,000 watts analog equivalant. According to my wife it ain't going to help me!

15. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys,

I am leaning towards the Lowrance unit. Droptine, My wife says there's just no help for some of us.

Steve

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    A BIG decal of a Gamecock would help...........anybody!:smile2:

17. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Not another one of you? :eek:oooh: Haven't ya'll figured it out? When you escape the farm you are supposed to not talk about it anymore! Now I gotta go wash my boat seat where you was sittin!:smile2::smile2:

18. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I had better check the boat good, I picked it up in Tennesse from an old big T fans! At least the color is close, just a little faded out.