Pickin me clean

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got out Saturday night with 3 of my friends and we had plenty of light bites but nothing that we could set the hook on, just a bump here and there. All the bait was picked clean off, we didn't land anything but at least SOMETHING was biting.

Good news is those year old nitro biscuits worked.

Anyone else get skunked?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not capable of fishing right now! It sucks that you got skunked but at least you were out there. Perhaps your hooks were too big for the fish or maybe they didn't get into the bait too much. Sounds like what I refer to as "curiousity bites". This occurs when the fish is somewhat interested in the bait, but the initial taste turns it away. As a general rule, I like to take 5 types of bait with me: live minnows, cut bait, nightcrawlers, livers, and some type of commercial bait. Normally you will catch something.

3. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i fished the GMR in Middletown this past week and was using my regular 8 foot medium/heavy action rods and reels and was just getting bumps and the occasional almost run and accidentally caught a channel cat about 3 inches long ( my hook was almost as big as it was ) so i did what most of us would do...i put his arse on the hook and used him for bait but got no hits on it, so the next day i went back and downsized my rods and reels and caught 7 channel cats in the same place ranging from 1 lb and down nothing really worth mentioning but it was still a blast to finally get the first fish of 2008 and i have fished all over in my boat this year from cj brown to indian lake and it took me going back to basics to finally catch some fish, heck what do i need a boat for....lol...and all were caught on night crawlers......HAPPY FISHING.....Mike

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    got skunked Friday night, was only out for a few hours before it started storming

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Me and a buddy did well on Firday at a local lake. Instead of my normal tightline, I was leaving it slack, so there was no resistance from anything when they first bite. Caught 6 ranging from 2-6#. Also caught one in the Tusc. River Saturday night, but it hit like a champ. Then all I had was a couple of light bites after that.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If the dinks are biting it's time to move. Small cats don't hang out with medium and big ones. Changing bait is not much help either. Just because you change bait doesn't magically make bigger fish appear.I wish I had all the time I wasted back fishing non productive spots. That includes down sizing. Why would I down size to catch fish that keep messing with my bait when I came out for bigger ones?:wink:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    :0a25: to boc best site :wink:

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the crawdads are getting really active now, thats what usually "picks me clean" when fish arent active.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc hopefully they will be better days ahead

11. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys for the in put

this weekend should work out a lot better, warmer water will get these cats in the mood for a great pre-spawn bite.