Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Picked up my new 'toon today.

988 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  crmule 
#1 ·
Took it to the closest lake from the dealers to give it a test run. I didn't have much of a problem unloading it, but when I had to load it my confidence level hit the floor, Hard. It was a beast! took me three or four tries till I got it. It has two 2x4's that are in a V under each pontoon and two that stick up in between the 'toons for guides(I guess). I dont know exactly how much I'm supposed to back down the ramp. With my other boat, I get my back tires at the waters edge and have no problems. How far do ya'll back your trailers when using a pontoon? I got to thinking on the way home that maybe the inside guides should be closer to the water. Anyone have tip that could help me out?

#2 ·
Congrats on yer new ride. I don't have one personally but like my boat and trailer I would assume they all load and unload different, I can say that a buddy's when I back the trailer for him he likes his to be down enough that we runs all the way up to the lock down, you'll be fine ya know that, heck spend an hour on a ramp and move yer trailer around until you find that "sweet spot". Bud's is a 24' tracker with sounds like the same style of trailer. Stick us a pic of the new ride, we have been talking about trading in for a toon, I know they sure are nice. Again Congratulations on the new ride!

#3 ·
I don't have a pontoon, but do have a fairly large boat. For me it was practice and finding the right spot. I had problems by backing down too far when loading. I was backing as far loading as I did unloading and finally realized it was easier to not back so far when loading. It's also different for different grades of ramps. I would suggest start by trying to submerge the bunks all the way when unloading and when loading only submerge 3/4 of the bunks, leaving the front 1/4 out of the water.

#4 ·
Daniel, congrats on the new pontoon...... Like they say... all ramps are diff etc. Loading my boat in various rivers and lakes and the ocean to boot, Iv'e encountered many cituations..... I plan on no help from friends, as I do fish a lot by myself or wife etc. and need to have it under control without help. It's nice to have some side boards to position the boat, and just pull into the "groove"...... good luck with the solution .

bayrunner ray

#5 ·
Remember that that toon will load different then a bass or deep v boat. Don't even think about another comparison when loading a toon. My guides are on the outside of the trailer and about 21/2 feet high. I back my trailer in the water until the tops of the guides are just above the water line. I approach the trailer under power the slowest as I can . I line up on my front stop stand and don't even try to think about the guides If I am close to center on approach then when it comes to the guide then it will finish the line up and onto the trailer it goes. My trailer is designed like yours. I had a fit trying to load it and then I went to the ramp one Sunday morning and spent the better part of two hours just practicing lining up on the trailer and made a mental note of how deep the tailer was and now can load on the first shot 98% of the time.

#6 ·
Mine is like yours also I have to back in the water farther to unload than to load. I back mine in till the boards that the toons sit on are in the water deep enough that the toons will get over top of them and stay in the v. then once it is started on I drive it as far as I can then crank it on the rest of the way. I use to sink my trailor and let it float until I tried to load it in a wind storm one day and it got blow over against the guides on the inside and put a big dent down the toon. now I just do it the safe way.

#7 ·
Mine is like yours also I have to back in the water farther to unload than to load. I back mine in till the boards that the toons sit on are in the water deep enough that the toons will get over top of them and stay in the v. then once it is started on I drive it as far as I can then crank it on the rest of the way. I use to sink my trailor and let it float until I tried to load it in a wind storm one day and it got blow over against the guides on the inside and put a big dent down the toon. now I just do it the safe way.

#8 ·
I HAVE A 21 FT'ER & USUALLY PUT THE TRAILER IN 3/4 OF THE WAY THEN JUST LINE UP THE FRONT OF THE TOON IN THE MIDDLE & THE GUIDES DO THE REST!!

#10 ·
I have been usig a 20ft toon sence 89 and love it
The frist thing I would sugest are tall PVC guide on's at the back of the trailer .I float my boat off and on. On steep ramps .On shallow ramps I have a second wench mounted under the On wench ,it is loaded with 3/8 in nylon rope a pully is at the back of the trailer and an S hook on the end of the rope . this line runs to the rear and back to the front I disconect the pull on wench and hook the pull off wench to unload at both ramps ,When I float off the boat clears the trailer and I beach it buy pulling foward .On shallow ramps put the trailer in as far as I can and crank it off.
Load and unload without help .
I also have a hitch ball on the front of my truck for ramps that are hard to get too or for loading and unloading in the dark .
Have fun I hope my tricks will help you to do it the easyway
CR MULE

NOTE use a pully designed for sailboats they will handle the load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.