Picked up a new wheel gun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Txbluecatman, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
  2. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Nice gun heard good stuff about them just dont hold fingers up in front of cylinders when you shoot them tear finger nails off.:wink:

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice gun! I just bought a S&W model 29 44 mag a few months ago, awesome gun but the ammo is expensive. Mine's good to 100 yards with 300 grain XTP's from Double Tap ammo. You will have fun! Chris

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive got roughly the same gun in 357 and love it. You will not be disappointed.

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I can't wait to put some rounds down range with it. I am gonna try to let some fly today before going to work. On another note I have been to 3 differrent stores and the only ammo I could find for it is some 44 special 200 grain blazers. No one in my part of the country has any handgun ammo in stock, but they seem to have a surplus of rifle ammo now.

Good thing I ordered my reloading gear for it already.

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You will find that the 44 Special is pretty watered down compared to the Magnum. Chris

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nice pistol! Been wanting a Judge myself. Give a report when ya can. I sold my S&W .44Mag years ago, still tearing up the pillows at night, JK. :roll_eyes:

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You got a goodin. Enjoy

9. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hope you like it. I bought a Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull with a 8 3/8 barell last year and I love it.

10. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I was finally able to put some rounds down range with the new wheel gun. I was able to find 4 boxes of hornady 240 grain xtp's for the 44 mag. I started off with setting up 3 targets at known distances. 25, 50, and 75 yards. I fired 4 3 round groups off the bench at each target. At 25 my best 3 shot group was 1.3inches, at 50 it was 2.4 inches, and 75 yards was about 4.5 inches. Not bad with the factory sights. Recoil was pretty mild with those factory loads, probabaly due to the hogue grips I put on the revolver. All and all I am pretty pleased with the performance of this revolver.

I can't wait to start working up my handloads for it.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    That looks like mine to the tee. Ive been using Accurate #9, Win 296 for magnum loads and titegroup for the mild loads. There isnt much tolerance for the magnum loads of 296 and I think the same for #9, maybe 1 grain.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a S&W mod 629, great gun, you can check midway shooting sports, for reloading supplies and shooting stores. Enjoy.