picka boat any boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by nightfisher-07, Jan 6, 2008.

1. nightfisher-07

nightfisher-07 New Member

State:
    PA
    hello everyone, im a new member to the site. im now in the market for a new boat setup for around $4000. i used to use a 10' jon(w/2people) with a trolling motor on a medium sized river. yeah it was very slow. i dont want any bigger than a 14' jon. i was thinkn about an alumacraft 1448 with a 8hp yamaha and trailer. i want all new stuff here, boat, motor, and trailer setups please. whatda you guys think?:confused2:

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a older lowe with a 15hpseahorse (short shaft) I can run in ohhh 3-6 inches of water (GUESSING NEVER ACTUALEY CHECKED) I run the missippi and a couple smaller rivers round here.It aint fast but I can take this boat about anywhere including lakes so it is good all around.Yer motor is the heart ....so thats where all yer money is at.Myself IF I could afford it I think I would buy a new 4stroke 15hp and work my way up to a new boat.6-8 grand and you could have it all new and it would be worth every last dime to me....but thats just my oponin and I am sure since you asked yer gonna have alot to chew on cause the BOC will throw it all at you:wink:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Justin, Welcome to the BOC. I think you should be able to get what you want and keep it in your price range. You might even be able to step up a lil on the motor size. Shop around, talk to dealers, make them work for your business. Good luck.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea if you can get what your wanting in that price range. However, I can most whole heartedly offer you a welcome to the B.O.C. All the answers to your questions are here, just ask them. And, don't be shy about posting your thoughts either. Again, Welcome.

5. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    hey thanks for making me feel welcomed guys. so would it be worth spending a little extra on the 15hp instead of the 8hp? i honestly dont know, i have always used a trolling motor to get around, but i have had enough that.:angry:

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    BTW I think that one is also on craigslist, asking price $5500.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin Welcome to the BOC. If you do a little shopping I think you can get the boat you are looking for, in your price range. Lots of luck.

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Justin,
    Lowe has their new riveted 1448, 15" transom boats in flat or mod-v for around $1500.00. They come with a lifetime hull warranty and has a livewell in the center seat. Last year a new 9.8 Nissan 4 stroke, 15" shaft, pull start, with fuel setup was bringing $1800.00. Thats around $3,300.00 so far. Surely you can find a trailer for around $700.00 or less. Keep in mind there are going to be taxes, license and title fees. You may go a little over, but you are in the ballpark for a new barebones starter boat. Start shopping. Good luck to ya.

10. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    that sounds like a good setup barry. i think i will try to find something like that. thanks for all the help guys, well i guess i need to go shopping now.:big_smile:

11. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if i were you id upsize the motor to at least a 20 if you are going
    with a 1448 ive gotta 1436 with a 15 ive had it for the last
    couple years and im looking for a 25 because my boat goes so slow
    it seems like it takes me forever to get from one bend to the next

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    justin, i just bought a 16 ft jon with a 18 hp tahatsu four stroke with trailer for 3900 last march. with a budget of 4000 you should be able to get you a nice jon and trailer and even get a bigger motor.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Justin, welcome to the BOC/SOC best catfishing site on the web:cool2:. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there. Good luck on the boat search, hope you find what your looking for.

14. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Take no offense to this, but I highly doubt you're running 3-6 inches w/ a prop motor. 6-8" maybe under the right circumstances for vey short distances assuming your boats flat wide bottom and balanced perfectly. You said yourself you never actually measured it, I bet you'd be surprised at how much water you're actually in if measured. It always looks shallower than it is IMO, but 3 inches looks like wet rocks.

Nightfisher
    What part of Pa are you from? Lots of boats in my area like you described for river use. Do the leg work and you'll find something in your $ range. I'd go w/ a 9.9 or 15 hp short shaft on a 20" transom. 1448 is an excellent choice. It will be light yet stable while standing. Most jons on the market are near identical in construction so look around for best price and layout for you.

Here's a site where you can get a better idea of availibity and pricing; it not around here but you can compare brands/options easily so not to go to a dealer blindly.
    http://www.akmccallumco.com/tiller.htm

Matt

15. nightfisher-07

State:
    PA
    hey matt, there were some descent prices on that site, they have a good selection. wish they were closer. im right on the pa line with maryland, right down the middle of pa. i really do most of my fishing in the potomac river(maryland) for channels, around williamsport, dam 4, and four locks. sounds to me like i would be better off with a 10-15hp outboard. thanks for the input guys.

16. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Justin Welcome to the BOC

17. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, here's my thoughts:

I bought an alumacraft 1448 this year with trailer and tags and taxes etc etc for it all, just under $2500. We used a 1980's Evinrude 8hp on it for a month. With 2 guys and our fishing gear, it would go about 11mph by my handheld gps, but one person had to sit on the bow to keep it down (made it go 2 or 3 mph faster). Stepped up to a 25hp 2 stroke Yamaha and now it will run about 28mph with aluminum floor, carpet and 2 people with fishing gear. I think i could get more out of it with a different prop (which i haven't had time to fool with. I like the bigger motor. I can go farther and have more time to fish. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 15 if you expect it to plane out very well. With the 25hp it planes out at around half throttle, which means I dont have to run it WOT all the time everywhere I go, giving me better fuel mileage and less stress on the motor. My 25 2 stroke cost around $2500. Plus if i get caught out a ways with a storm coming, i may just be able to outrun it.

18. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hang on fellas, I dont think you would want to put a 15" short shaft on a 20" transom. I think you would run into cavitation problems. Its best if you want a 20" transom boat to put a long shaft on it, or a short shaft on a 15" transom.

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a 14 ft simi V and I'm running a 25hp on it.I can't run with the big boys but at least I can keep them in sight.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Justin! I know you're wanting to get everything new, but personally, I'd reccomend a used boat & trailer, and move up to a 1648 boat. With an aluminum boat, it's pretty much what you see is what you get. Just make sure you get something that hasn't been beat up, and has good solid wood on the transom, and you've got a like-new boat. If it comes with a trailer, check the tires; if they're badly worn or dry-rotted, you'll not only have to buy new tires, but you'll probably want to replace the wheel bearings. That's an easy, inexpensive job. Also look at the rollers and bunks to see if they're in good shape. Again, replacing them is easy and inexpensive. And if it's just the carpet covering on the bunks, you can always scrounge some used carpet to put on them. If you'd rather use something like Astroturf to cover the bunks, you'll probably have to buy that, unless you can find someone replacing theirs on their porch or patio. The biggest potential for buying someone else's trouble is with the outboard. With what you save by buying the boat & trailer used, you should have enough to buy a nice 15hp, or maybe even a 25hp outboard, and still have enough left over to cover taxes and licenses. Just something to think about.