Piasa Creek

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Skunk Master, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Just wanted to let everbody know not to try launching your boat at piasa creek.. Took my boat out 2day and launched from there.. got it stuck in mud at ramp unloading it and buried motor in mud trying to load boat on trailer.. boat bottomed out tring to get up to boat dock.. the river is way down above alton dam..just thought i'd let everybody know...:crying:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks for the info.
    I used to put in there quite a lot several years ago. It's a great place to catch shad. The areas I fished up in that area, had so many gar hitting my bait, I finally gave up. I switched to Marquette for putting in or Hardin. The gar are not nearly as bad up in those places, but the Bighead Carp sure have taken over. Anymore, I fish closer to home down here along the Mississippi near Herculanium.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    is there any good places to put in below the chain of rocks

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is a boat ramp over on Riverview just south of 270. The river has to be up enough to use it and you gotta watch your stuff so it doesnt disappear if you know what I mean. Or put in on the landing, etc.

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    What is going on with the river? I went above the dam in alton there is hardly any water I was going to go to the illinois by hardin but now I'm thinking that is not a good idea either. I went below the dam in alton and the water is moving very swift and you can actually launch there. Anybody know?

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They are expecting alot of rain this spring so they let the water thru to keep from flooding... betcha they'rre gonna regret that huh:crying:

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The river above the dam is actually at a decent level its not as low as it looks there is just so much water being sucked through that it doesnt fill in those back areas across the river where the waterfowl refuge is. You can put in below the dam finally now which is nice, but above the dam there is nothing wrong to fish.

8. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    we saw a sign by the alton marina today reading no trailer boats. I guess right now they dont want you launching there. also talked to a idnr guy and he said they are keeping the st.louis pool up right now for some reason, so that is why alton has that drained look to it.