Photos of my anchor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Mr.T, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    This subject came up in another thread, but figure'd I start a new thread and post some photos of the anchor I use for fishing in the river so that everyone could see. Maybe it'll give someone an idea...

It weighs 28 lbs (just added 10 more lbs to it tonight) and is made from lead and some 1/2" rebar. I didn't invent the style of anchor, but also haven't seen one made quite like this using the rebar.

The rebar has a small "L" at the bottom of it so it'll hold in the lead. The top of the rebar is bent as shown in the second photo. Overall, it's about 18 or 20 inches tall. Paint is just some white metal primer. Not sure if it was required or not, but I wire-brushed the bottom of the rebar, heated it with a torch and dipped it in some paste flux (the kind you'd use for soldering copper pipe) - the idea was to make the lead stick to the rebar. Not entirely sure it worked, but it seems pretty solid.

The lead portion was poured in a large cast iron bowl. The lead is about 9" diameter at the top. As you can see, it's not very thick - 28 lbs of lead doesn't take up a lot of space.

The only difficult in making an anchor like this is in forming the rebar - I've got a friend with a cutting torch who took care of it for me.

Before I added the extra 10 lbs of lead tonight, it worked great in most river currents but wouldn't hold in the fast water just below Truman Dam. I expect it to work a lot better now. The shape allows it to bite into sand or mud bottoms, sometimes better than you want.

The first picture shows the anchor just after assembling it into the molten lead. The 2x6 and C-clamps hold everything in place until the lead hardens.

The best part is that I've almost nothing invested in it -- the lead came from a tire shop, the rebar was scrap and I had a can of primer out in the garage. I've got far more money in the anchor rope than the anchor itself...

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I can see where that style anchor will hold in just about any bottom condition.
    it looks like the rebar will bend if it gets hung up to give you another angle to pull from.
    Marty thanks for posting the pics.

3. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Marty, looks good to me. Probably works better than an Arkansas cinderblock anchor. LOL:wink:

4. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    That's a nice-looking mushroom anchor. It looks like you can easily recast it if it gets beaten up by the rocks.

-- Rich

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I need to make one of those anchors. I have a 52lb steel anchor and it beats the heck out of my boat, not to mention it takes alot of muscle to pull it up! :eek:oooh:This one is almost indentical to the one the Cuz has in his SeaArk Big Daddy. Except his is 19lbs. You can throw it out in the Mississippi river in the main channel and it will stop his boat dead in it's tracks. All I have to do is find some lead and I'll have one too.

6. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    go to your local tire shop. most will give you all the old wheel weights you would want. just melt them down and the steel clips will float to the top.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I've tried that, all the shops around here sell their weights for scrap. They won't give them away. I have just been buying my lead and salvaging it off of old junker car tires.

8. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for the info and the pics. it looks good enough to hold in some of the stongest current and if you do happen to lose it, it would take much to make a new one.

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thats a nice lead weight ya got there lol

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Nice job, I just molded a smaller 10lb anchor for my jon boat. Lead is easier on the boat bottom..:wink:

11. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    INstead of rebar we just use fence/trailer anchors found at any farmstore. THey alread have the threads welded on to hold in the lead.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Marty, Thanks for the post of your anchor.....

bayrunner ray

13. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 2070 roughneck and it takes a 38# pound anchor like the ones shone in the pics. If a guy was worried about dinging his boat up the you dip it some kind of rubber coating. I have some rbuuer coating that I got from cabelas it is actualy for the floor on a boat, but it would probably work on an anchor. I think it was called tuff coat stuf costs like 73 bucks a gallon but works great on my floor.

14. Glad2noyou

Glad2noyou New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Now, Thats a nice looking anchor

15. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    here in the lower mississippi we make our own for the fast water, we take a old car axale cut the part where the rim bolts on then weld rebar about 20 inches long to it 4 of them, then we bend it back towards to the top, this is very light and holds very good, if you get it hung up just tie it off pull forward it will come right up. ill try to get a pic. of it up soon

16. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    using the anchors like Marty, and Troy showed, I call them Missouri river anchor, doesn't require as much weight to hold, 27lb will hold in Missouri river,
    and below Truman dam, I use 15 lbs. on upper Truman lake. have 18' by 93" wide
    River Pro. easy to make, bread pan for mold. made the one in Troys pic.27lb I think.
    Jim

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Where are y'all finding these tire shops? The local ones not only won't give me any...they won't even sell me any. Looking at that anchor, I immediately wonder just how well it would work if it were made of concrete. :0a36:

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't think it would be real durable but should mostly hold together with enough mesh in it. The best thing is that it would sure be cheap and easy enough to try it out.

Let us know. I'd try it but I already have two of the lead ones made up.

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another good source of tire weights is walmart. Yes, I said walmart. but, in thier parking lot, not the store. Especially during the x-mas rush. lol