Photo of the month

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hi folks! The wheels are always spinnin' here when the water is too high to fish. Moderators, I was thinking that it would be nice if we had a BOC member fishin' photo of the month. You could put up a separate header for it. Each month the members could submit their best photo, to be judged by the whole BOC group, like the "poll" format is. The only rule is that it has to be a current fishin' photo. One photo per month per member. If a member catches a nicer fish and wants to change his/her photo, it has to be done before the "vote" icon comes up in the "poll" format. Winner each months gets whatever prized is deemed fit beforehand, from a pat on the back, up. I think this would be a real cool idea to further expand the broad level of this fine group. It would also encourage folks to take better pics of their catches. For a sample photo, and the one that got me thinking about this, let me post a duplicate of Ryan's 59.6 blue. Folks, this is a classic photo! BTW: Though the photos have to be catfishin' related, you would not not have to necessarily have to take pics of big fish. Perhaps a sunset on the river/lake, over lookin' a boat full of rods set out. For the juggers, perhaps a sunset on a lake over lookin' a mass of bobbing jugs. Maybe a shot of an angler fighting a fish with his rod doubled over. There is no end, but whatever your imagination can come up with. Whatcha think, mods and members?
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think it is a very good idea,

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good idea , now I got to catch a biggun LOL

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Once again, the photo should not be judged by the size of the fish, but by overall photo quality, and how the photo moves you. Other than the fish in the photo I posted, all you can see is Ryan's teeth! :smile2: That is a happy camper, and the photo relays that feeling.
    Bill in SC

5. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Reps to you hon, I LOVE IT!!! Great idea!:big_smile:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Bill one thing I was wondering.... Some folks might be better at " photo enhancement " I guess would be the word ? I no nothing about it but some might more than others. Would this create a unfairness factor to judging ?

-Jim-

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Cher, et al.

<Bill one thing I was wondering.... Some folks might be better at " photo enhancement " I guess would be the word ? I no nothing about it but some might more than others. Would this create a unfairness factor to judging ?>

Not really JJ. Remember, this would just be a friendly competition with a pat on the back as the prize, unless someone could figure out some small token for the winner each month. Most everyone has a digital camera that they take fishin', and having a contest would, once again, encourage folks to be better photographers. A few simple things like "having the sun at your back when taking pictures", would increase the quality of many folk's pics. I frequently see GREAT fish/event photos, otherwise quickly forgotten due to poor photo quality. There would be NO reason for someone to enhance a photo to win a contest with no big prize. That being said, I don't know much about photo enhancement, but I'm sure it takes a lot of work to doctor one up. If someone wanted to change the shading of the light or clear up some resolution flaw, I think that would be ok. Regardless as to what you do, the photo still has to stand on it's own legs to be judged the winner. Another angle is that we could run the contest for 12 months, and then judge the "photo of the year", with perhaps a rod and reel as the prize. Just thinking out loud, and welcome all ideas and/or rules. The good thing about this idea is that there would be NO bias, as each month's photos would be judged by all the BOC members that wanted to vote.
    Bill in SC

8. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like fun.
    I don't know the logistics or if it can be done but maybe for the winner that month, their picture and props to them would be the first thing you saw when you logged on to the site.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good idea, Mike! As far as the logistics, I think it would be a SIMPLE addition of a new header, with some sort of poll format. I'm anxious to hear the moderator's thoughts.
    Bill in SC

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <<Bill one thing I was wondering.... Some folks might be better at " photo enhancement " I guess would be the word ? I no nothing about it but some might more than others. Would this create a unfairness factor to judging ?>>

Just thought of another twist to your reply, JJ. Some people are better at catchin' fish, or, let me say, have better waters to fish that produce large fish, and thus post bigger fish shots than many of us. So be it, that's just the way it is. I don't hold it against them! :smile2:

Bill in SC

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i love the idea and mabe paul could put it with all the uther quick links so we could all go right to it with out serching for it that would be a plus love to see this take off we all love the pics so mabe this would give some of the ones that dont normaly post pics insentiv to do so:wink:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sounds like a good idea. and pics could always be sent to a satff or other member for resizing ect. were here to help. good idea bill.

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds good to me ( How would vote maybe the last week vote only that gives three to change your pic

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Lets don't make it more complicated than it is. KISS

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds good folks, if we can get the nod from the mods!
    BB in SC

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just a note to bump this topic back to the top. I got a LOT of positive response from this idea, and want more folks to see it, so we can possibly get it implemented into the BOC format.
    Bill in SC

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i still think its a good idea
    Bump :cool2:

19. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i think that would be really really cool, would make anoter friendly competition and maybe even draw more people together than before.