Phooey on Weather Guy - Do you listen to him?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, Feb 18, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Don't know about the rest of you, but I have lost way too many fishing days because I listened to the weather guy. And yes, he was wrong a Lot of times, and I stayed home and wished I had gone fishing. NO MORE.

If the forcast is thunder storms, I may stay home. or not. If it's gonna be cold (below 50*) I'll pile on the heavy clothing. Rain, my Frogg Togs will work fine. If temps over 80*, I'll launch early and get off water early, Also take plenty of water.

I'm sick and tired of staying home only to wish I had gone fishing.

So, my question is; Does everybody or anybody change their fishing plans based on the weather report or just wing it ??

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    dw....ah just wing it if its nasty I dont go but I dont plan becuase of the weather. If it is ok outside when I wanna fish I go, sometimes it gets cut short because of bad weather but I go. I usually dont rely on the weather man although Ive been caught in my fair share of storms! lol

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I even got to despising weathermen so bad, I started trying to go by the weather on NOAA. I did no better. But somehow it felt better then having somebody else tell me when I should and shouldn't fish!

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep i as of this day am not listening to the weather dork anymore. he said snow showers here in the valley today hmmm sun was out was cool but nice could of went fishing i think its a conspiracy with the peta people:p

5. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    With me, I am an avid angler, camper, canoeist and weekly DIRT track racer & pitcrew member, so all of my life's activities are based outdoors therfore I have stopped listening to the weather man/woman for some years now.

I still don't understand why these people get paid for standing there pointing at a screen to just tell us lies.

:p

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont usually listen to the weatherdork, just look at the radar. I can usually guess better than him.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here dude...!

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just wing it myself.If its not raining before i go then ill go ahead and go unless they are talking about severe weather then i dont go.But you cant always go by what the weather man says ive went out when they were calling for a nice sunny day and ended up getting drenched,so i take what they say with a grain of salt.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, it was predicted to be 40's, breezy, cold and raining this morning. I got up, dressed warmly because of the wind, and went fishing. Darn sun came up and I was almost steamed by the time I left.
    And then there are the "winds from the west at 5-10, calm seas" days; yeah, right:rolleyes:

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, it was predicted to be 40's, breezy, cold and raining this morning. I got up, dressed warmly because of the wind, and went fishing. Darn sun came up and I was almost steamed by the time I left.
    And then there are the "winds from the west at 5-10, calm seas" days; yeah, right:rolleyes:
    But then, if they were always right, who would I have to vent my frustrations on? :mad:

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Just hang a rock on a string outside your window.

If the rock is moving its windy.

If its not moving its calm.

If the rock is wet its raining.

If its dry its not raining.

Thats all you need to know. lol :D

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I stayed home today because they were calling for a 35 degree rain all day. Well, it only rained in the afternoon, but it was still cloudy and cold in the morning. I kinda wanted to go, but decided to do a family day because next week is looking good by mid week.

In the summer I watch weather closely for thunderstorms. I do not want to be in my boat in a thunderstorm. I keep an eye on the barometer because I add this info to my fishing log.

So to answer your question, I do stay home when there is a good report of widespread nastiness, but if it is borderline I will head out and then come home if it is too miserable.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only time I ever listened to a weatherman and use his information as a basis for fishing was when I was in Virginia. If he said there was a 10% or less chance of rain, don't get on the chesapeke bay. There would be gale winds and torrential rains. I loved the 40% days as it was sunshine and calm.

14. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I personally have given up on my local weather man. Not only is he unsightly to look at his predictions are inaccurate at best.. I have diverted to the weather.com site as it predicts with fairly good accuracy up to ten days at a time.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I never listen to the weatherman. If im sitting there and i decide i want to fish i will head out to the river or lake in any type of weather

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there was a guy on a Chicago channel that was an excellent weatherman, used to watch him on cable all the time. i'd have better luck at determining the forecast by watching him rather than our local guys. think his name was Tom Skilling?

17. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I check accuweather and intellicast to see what the wind is gonna be like. If it's over 10 miles an hour, I stay home. Obviously I don't go when it's storming or supposed to, but cold or hot weather ain't gonna keep me from fishing.

18. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually have the weather alert set on my 2 way radio to alert me for severe weather,other than that I'm with Fatkat on the weather rock.

19. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Ahhh the weather man!The only job that you can be wrong more than 50% of the time and still have a job.
    One thing to remember,the weather does not watch the TV or read the paper.

20. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't pay them much mind. I do the radar thing to.50/50 chance of being right.Fishing buddies will say it's going to be cold or windy i'll tell them if they are SCARED they can jump in my pocket.It's hard for me to have someone tell me that. I have ancors,and drift socks to help me with the wind. Haveing the right gear is the ticket.