Phony blue cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Feb 22, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont know exactly what the blues range is but I always figured it was in the Missouri river drainage in Kansas.I'm hearing they may have been stocked in other places.Anyway in the rivers of SE Kansas I'm reasonably sure we dont have them.But every year I hear dozens of reports of blues being caught here.Its always around late june or early july when the channels are spawning.The male channel then gets a big head and turns blue but its still a channel.If there were blues in the neosho there would be reports of 40 or 50 lb fish being caught but theres not.The same people that catch blues will argue that yellow cats and flatheads are different fish.I quit arguing with them.Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    went to the wild life info meeting the other night , they said they have been stalking a lot of the lakes around Kansas with the blues, therrefore they could get to the tributaries that feed them they ve been doing this for quite sometime now.I have personally seen a 25 lber come out of Gardner lake. I fish hillsdale , mostly, but just strted last year, I use to fish the Truman lake area for years, so as far as kansas goes I will let you know, But I know they are being stocked by yhe thousands by Game and Fish, so if they were nt there they probably will be

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a Unce In the Riverton Area, and we fish that way quite a bit, and we have caught blues on the Neosho and Spring River down that way?

Where are fishing mostly, maybe when I'm in the area we could hang out?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    There are blues in the lower stretches of the Neosho.
    They only exist during high water. They come up from Grand lake in OK.
    Because there are so many low water dams on the Neosho they dont always get very far.
    The most popular and definite stretch with blues is from Chetopa down to Grand Lake.
    Its usually a spring thing when they make their spawnig runs.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've fished at Riverton years ago,I like the old power dam there.If there are blues there they must be coming out of Grand lake.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Redmond lets out a huge amount of water in the spring and early summer, Ive seen the river up over the Burlington Dam, so that leads me to believe the river gets up over the other 6 or 7 dams on its way to OK, and I have personally seen 30 and 40 lb. blues caught at the spillway at Redmond. I know for a fact , they do make it that far up. Those are not big channels. :cool2:

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    The neosho gets 20 ft deep over these low water dams all the time but I've still never seen what I would call a blue.They may be here,I cant say.But most of what people call blues are spawning channels.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I guess I am lucky, But I can tell a Blue from a Channel when others are still wondering what it is. And I see Channel cats all the time, that people are saying nice blue cat.
    Even been seeing a few in videos of late. Where they say nice blue when its a channel. Funny thing is its not even close in looks. But blues are showing up in waters that people think there not in. Shoot all it takes is one flood and there moving into a different body of water.
    I am glad we have them here in the Tn river.
    Pete

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Blues do move ALOT in high water. I have caught blues here in Wichita that have swam up from Kaw Lake in Ok. Thats over 120 river miles.:crazy::smile2:
    They usually dont stick around but a month or so, but they are a welcome visitor.:wink:

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They would sure be welcome to swim up here and hang around for awhile.The river stayed high so much last year they might be here.I've never seen the river stay as constantly high as it did last year.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ray, everytime I went to Redmond last year, they were letting out alot of water. You being in Humboldt, those blues have to be traveling past you to get up stream. If Redmond lets out a bunch this year, they will come up again. Get you some fresh shad, cut them into big chunks, wing it out in the middle with a 12-16 oz. sinker , and wait, Im sure youll hook into one, if not many. Good luck. If at all possible , I might be able to make it down there this spring and fish with you if the river is up and moving. Ive got an older cousin that lives down there, you might know him, he fishes in bass tourneys around there alot. His name is Jim Palmer, he is in his late 60's early 70's I believe. He is my grandmothers first cousin, and he keeps telling me to come on down , and he'll put me on a bunch of good catfish spots, I just havent done it yet. I just might have to this spring. :wink:

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I know Jim pretty well he runs fishing tourneys for the kids here.Lives right here in town.Come on down and we'll go fishing.Wish I could still fish Barkers dam but they shut me out.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats cool Ray. Small world. I talk to Jim a couple of times a year, but I have never been that far south to fish with him. I think he has been sick lately, so Im not sure if he is planning on fishing much this season, but I sure will give him a holler around April and see whats going on. If he's not up to it, Ill still try to make it down anyway. :big_smile:

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Maybe you should think about this a little different. Instead of the "Missouri River drainage" Try thinking about the Mississippi river drainage. Just fallow the Arkansas river. On a side note Kansas Department of Wildlife are stocking Blues in more and more lakes do to the zebra mussels. Blues are one of the few fish that love to eat them. High water fish leave the lakes head down stream.....

15. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Ray believe me I know what you are saying when you talk about people thinking male channel are blues. I did catch what I know was a blue at Barkers years ago. I sure wish we could still get in there too.

16. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Yes Alan Barkers dam has to be the best place on the neosho river.There were only a handful of people that ever fished it and even fewer that fished it all the time.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    So where this Dam?:cool2:

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sorry took so long to answer,Barkers is just north of Chanute.They've had it locked up tight for about 15 years.

19. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I work at monarch and have access to the river right above barkers.We have done really good there the last few years setting lines.Oh yeah we have caught MANY blues in that area on dead perch and shad.They don't seem to ever hit on anything alive.You need to be fishing humbolt dam. we pulled several nice flats out of there last summer during the high water.

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I have caught many big flatheads out of the Neosho but I dont know what it is about Humboldt I have never once had a bite there.