Phoenix canals

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by shadesaz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. shadesaz

shadesaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    Does anyone fish the phoenix area canals? I was just trying to find somewhere close to home to fish for my son and myself to go throughout the week in the evenings. Thanks in advance for any help.:big_smile:

2. shadesaz

shadesaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    I tryed fishing off of 99th ave and Bethany Home
    Rd. Saterday night and we had some luck one small channel cat and a blue gill:roll_eyes:

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I live in Mesa with a canal behind my house, and I fish it regularly for carp to cut up for bait. I almost always have a pole out for cats too at night, and its either hit or miss for them. I also LOVE to bass fish the canals around bridges, about a month ago I pulled a 6lb bass out after dark on a heddon tiny torpedo topwater lure. It is my experience that there are larger than average channel catfish in the canals, alond with the very occasional flathead, probably because there is limited fishing pressure out here.

4. shadesaz

shadesaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    Does the canal you fish have a strong current? The area I fished was pretty calm. The canal spits up at this area and feeds smaller canals for farm feilds.This area is about 40 feet wide and about 1/2 a mile long.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    My area of canal has the slackest current. It is only 4-6 ft deep and about 25ft wide.

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ive often wondered how the fish live as there is limited oxygen, the water is lukewarm and relatively no cover. They must come in from the CAP, but Ive never caught a striper in there as I have in the CAP canal.