Phlueger reel - need some feedback

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catstalker459, May 24, 2007.

1. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    hey guys

whats ur take on phlueger reels? i thought about buyin one just to see what its like, hearin alot of hype about em

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have one of the bass reels and it is a smooooooth castin lil lady. i dunno how they would hold up to the ranks of big cats though.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Let me tell you they make a great cat reel you want the model 66 trion it's rated to med. saltwater

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 2 Pflueger Contender's and I like em. They are built to last, look good, hold a lot of line , cast and reel very smooth, and are geared to winch in the hosses.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know about using them in a catfish situation, but I own a Pflueger President for bass fishing and baitchunker is right, they make one smooth reel....but then again 10 bearings will do that for you. I have heard nothing but good things about their reels.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Pflueger makes some good reels....It just depends on what you want...If you're lookin for a spinning reel....Don't order the Contender 7580, it's been discontinued....Pflueger is recommending the Pflueger Medalist as an alternative buy....

I have a Trion 66 baitcaster and I like it....Dwight

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 4 presidents and 4 trion 66. not a single failure in 3 years. Top shelf reels worth every dollar.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I wonder if anyone has tried to put a "Power Handle" on the 66....How would kind of effect would it have on the reeling performance????? I've emailed Pflueger and no response...I guess Mildred was on call at the time....lol....Anybody, even a guess.....Dwight

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have seen TV programs where the Trion 66 handled large freshwater Santee Catfish and saltwater Redfish.With about a 2" radius and 4" diameter on the handles,why would you need something different?It seems to be able to put all of the strain on the reel that it is designed to handle.All of the owners I have read about seem extremely satisfied.Seems that Pflueger knew what they were doing.If a reel needs a different handle,sounds like it was not designed right to start with.The #1 purpose of any accessory is to sell.Improvement of the product is secondary.Some combine both,many do not.I learned this by buying my share and a lot more.A "power handle"on a casting reel is trying to turn it into a wench.If you need a wench,you need to move on up to the appropriate heavier reel.A "power handle"is a great way to abuse a reel if you are not careful.I got this opinion by the experience of watching my casting fishing partners over many years.A person who learns their reel can learn to do everything that the reel is made to do.If not,you need the reel that will or you need to learn what is wrong with you.Ourselves are our biggest problem that we all have.What we don;t know is the biggest challenge of all and what we all have the biggest problem with.After 50+ years of heavy fishing,I am just starting to learn a little bit of what knowledge is out there.I think the "Pflueger Trion 66" and the Cabala's Saltstriker SS6600X are the same reels and are great heavy freshwater and medium saltwater reels.In stead of "power handles" on the SS6600X reels, I have a Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD,a Mitchel Riptide 4/0 GL and a 5/0 Penn 345 GTI.The drawback is that it took me 60 years to have these reels and most are on loan.I do remember the many lean years of saving and getting by on what I could afford.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I think I see your point.....Dwight

11. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i hear alot of great things about it