Philpott Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mr.whiskers83, May 4, 2009.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I was just wondering if anybody does much catfishing in Philpott. I have for many years but never really produce much size, mostly just eating size. I know its not known for its catfishing but i know there are good fish in there and I was just wanting to know if anybody targets trophy size fish?

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    It holds some catfish, but mostly channels. I think a few bluecats have been tossed in though privately. Friend of mine caught a 44lber about 3 years ago trolling for walleye. Ive heard of a handful of blue cat catches. But i dont think its enough to target but yet again i dont know. I'd just focus on the walleyes if i went to phillpott and hope ya get lucky for a cat.

3. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I figured there would be some flatheads in there especially up the smith river side but I don't know either. I've heard of people catching them but never seen any so you know how that goes. I know several years ago a 60 pound blue was caught up towards calico rock but its been a while and big fish have been few and far in between.

4. Tlinkous

Tlinkous New Member

State:
    virginia
    I live about 5 minutes from dock #1.
    I have caught small catfish in Philpott, but I have heard of some nice 40 plus fish that have been landed including flatheads.They are in there.How to target them is the question.

5. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va

Yeah its the same way with me usually small fish plus it's kind of hit and miss.

6. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    I've bank fished there for years with similar results. Now that I have a good boat, I think I'll try fishing deep water for the cats. Late last fall I was marking fish in 60+ feet but didn't think about them being cats. Now I have read about blues being caught in 80+ depths so I think I'll give it a try. Can't hurt!!
    Greg

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i used to camp at horseshoe point years ago, and remember catching 30+ channels some nights with the biggest around 15 inches.
    chip