Philly catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Ericpenick, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Ericpenick

Ericpenick New Member

State:
    pa
    Hey guys, is anyone fishing in philly? Ive been fishing in the schuykill river all summer from Conshohocken to Manyunk and I've still not caught a beast. I have caught a ton of catfish, just not the killer 30 pounder. Can anyone help with some ideas? I've been fishing with sunnies and usually just catch channels and some flatheads... but it seems to be a challenge. Maybe thats what draws us all... but I think by now i would have caught the big one...I was out tonight for a couple hours and and same deal... using sunnies and a bunch of small fish... where should I go? What do I need to do... Does it take sitting all night? I usually go home around 11. Need some help. I usually sit with 4 rods with 50lb test on each. I'm ready, just maybe in the wrong spot... can anyone help? -Eric

2. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    HAHA yeah i havnt ethier, close but know cigar. I do know one thing and thats, STUCTURE.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught all my fish within the city limits of Philadelphia! It's gonna take more than just a few hours to get the big ones. I catch most of my big fish past 11PM. Instead of a few hours a night, save it all up and go for a late nighter if not all nighter.:cool2: Your best chance of catching a big one goes up with the more time you spend sitting around and waiting for a bite. Trust me, I'm nothing special nor a professional, but I put in a lot of time and effort for my fish. Good luck.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    time on the water is key, also maybe try keepin your lines in closer to the shore,flatty's come in close ta feed, maybe one pole in close another out far till ya find what works, try around fallen trees or any type of structure, besides live bait try one pole with a sunny head (last nite all my bigger flatty's were caught on heads), if your not gettin any decent fish or bites try moving, even if you only moving up or down river 100'. in one nite i usually move 2-3 times til i find the bite:wink:

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    took the words right out of my mouth. cast your rods all different distances, with different baits. And if you're getting into A LOT of small fish, i've found that that area usually doesn't give me a nice one. Flathead are pretty territorial and usually won't allow small ones near them. If you're constantly hitting smaller fish, use BIGGER baits. Especially if you're getting channels. There aren't a lot of channels that will mess with a monster bullhead or a huge sunny. The key thing to keep in mind is be versatile! Let them tell you what they want. don't keep trying the same old routine every time if it ain't workin.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

7. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Like already said....put out a spread, mix it up until you estsablish a pattern and then work that pattern.....Always fish at least 1 close bait....shouldnt be to hard since your fishing FOUR rods....2 guys and 2 rods a piece right:wink:. Len gave up a good tip......dont fear the cut bait's..they can and will be very good to you.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Eric!:0a25:. Can,t help you out,I,m on the other end in Pittsburgh.Your in good company over that way,somebody will fill you in. If that don,t work,find out what Tans driving and look around for his vehicle and fish there!:smile2:

9. WayneV

WayneV Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Dont give up man, try passin up the easy average joe spots, and carry your bait bucket till your shoulders are numb,fingers are purple and your outta breath look for the closest logjam,boulders, or anything like a current break and fish there. I've been pullin all nighters since April and I just recently started gettin into some nice ones. First 30# came at 5:15am.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    haha keep in mind that we can only technically use 2. If the game warden checks you out, he won't care if you play dumb. So throw 2 of those rods in the bushes if he comes sneakin up :wink:

11. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Tan is on the Money he be the man to trust when it comes to the east side :big_smile:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If that darn game warden is gonna catch me if, he better have his hiking boots, bottle of water with him. The first 500 yards of poison ivy and 7 minute itch will make him give up and turn around because it's simple not worth it!:crazy::big_smile::wink:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Ask Kenlaw and any other guys that have fished with me this year in around the Philly area, average joe spots (spots that you see weekend warriors slinging chicken livers and lures for smallmouth bass), have not produce diddly-squat for us this year. If you want the biggers ones, you're gonna have to do some work!

Take this statistic for an example: I fished April to July on the average from 7PM to midnight due to my work responsibilities. In that time frame, I caught 1 measly flat at 25lbs. Come summer when my work responsibilities disappear:wink:, Fish on the average 9PM to 4AM. Since then in under a month, I have caught 6 flats over 25 including 4 30s.

Get yourself a machete or chain saw and create your fishing hole.:cool2:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Or get a boat and avoid all the hassle of crowded spots, poison ivy, labor, etc! :wink:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Me ,my brother and another BOC brother spent 3 days hacking,digging,amd shoveling out a new spot,your right about getting away from the easy spots.:wink:

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Welcome to the board. Now to the quote. What makes you so special that ya can fish with more rods than the regs say? Just kinda struck a chord with me.

17. C&R monster hunter

C&R monster hunter New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I'm new to this form this maybe my first post all toghter. I have fished for large cats in the lower deaware and schuykill, the big trick for them is large bait large fish. Since ur fishing the schuykill prob for prowling flaties or large channals try live pencil eels there my bait of choice. Put a few small slits tword the back end (for blood, man do they love that) fish by cover close to bank drop offs or first foot of a bidge holes ect. 65lb braid 50lb floro leader2-3feet 2-6oz sliding sinker depending on water speed. Gl hope this can help you find your monster got a 31lb channal by pennypack and the delaware with this method september 24 this year

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
  19. catman30

catman30 Member

State:
    Pa
    Picture of said channel ?

20. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

State:
    PA
    No doubt! Always interested in seeing a giant fish!