Phil Washburn: Q. # 2

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, May 14, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Did pretty good on the first question Phil. Now for #2

This Navy guy (a submariner-are they still Navy if they go under water instead of on top? At any rate, gets my claustrophobia up just thinking about it.) This navy guy has a 5 gallon bucket of rocks. Each rock weighs 6 ounces except for one on the bottom of the bucket that has a 2 ounce chip off it. The bucket of rocks weighs 55 1/2 pounds.

Now this Navy guy is better than a Marine. He can kill two birds with one stone (Chipping Sparrows specifically). Now this is not the birds in the bush story, that is something altogether different.

Once this Navy guy gets in position to start throwing at the chipping sparrows, how many birds will he kill with the bucket of rocks knowing he can kill 2 of the poor little devils with each throw? He has to be careful 'cause there will be catfish guys out there picking up those 6 ounce stones for weights.

This question has a Spocklike logical answer which I can't figure out 'cause I hate math. You could give me any answer and I would say you are right, but I want you to try or other members can kibitz with you .

This is a timed test Phil. Not something a mechanic likes to hear I know. I'll give you less than a week to figure it out. Pretend you are making up a clients bill and it will be easy. Obviously since you are dealing with me I am looking for a different answer and we will see how anybody does.

Later, John.

P.S. or B.S. depending on how you look at it, these are polished granite stones the Navy guy stole from a Japanese garden before the Marines could get there and get them themselves.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The answer is alot simpler than the question I believe ,But I'll let Phil have a go at it before I chime in with mine .

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    ONE!!!!!Thats right one.Cmon we are talkng about Squids here.None of them can count.If they find the fleet weight lifting champion he MIGHT be able to life the bucket and kill one Chipping Sparrow with a prodigious heave.The rest of them are to weak to lift a stone much less a bucket.Ships these days are automated and dont require humans.The only reason we still have Squids is because R&D cant perfect a robot that looks good in those pretty whites worn for arrivals and departures:tounge_out::big_smile:. Now if it was a MARINE Chipping Sparrows would be extinct or at least endagered because any GOOD Marine would pick up the bucket of stones and kill every CS in existance within a matter of minutes.:roll_eyes::crazy::big_smile:I'm afraid you will have to ask an Airman for the answer.Where else can you find somebody with enough rocks (read stones)in their heads to strap a rocket with a million pounds of thrust to their ass and get fired into space in pursuit of the answer to "whats in a vacumn":big_smile:? Those guys have plenty of rocks and the time to count them and do the math.Are there really Chipping SParrows anyway?????:big_smile::roll_eyes::crazy:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    296 tweetie birds will bite the dust:crazy::smile2:.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

The answer is......sometimes people give Phil something to think about and redirect his/her mind. Problem with that is this dadgum each individual thing! You know, SOOO many people could be reading this. Oh the answers that may be forthcoming. Thanks for the entertainment PB.

Time to set YOUR rep back to 0. Things move fast around here. :big_smile:

BTW, know anything about raspberries? Maybe some members of the service do. I'll check with them. :wink:

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    pahleeze!

a marine doesnt need a rock to kill a bird. especially a lil chippin' sparrow from ia. you havent ever heard our usmc running cadence?

"lil yella birdie with a lil yella bill,
    landed on my window sill,
    lured him in with a piece o bread,
    then i crushed his lil bleepin' head!"

you should here the one about Mc D's.

oh and as for the math? good luck philosopher....

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    know something?

there ain't no better people in the world than what i meet in this forum............................you listening, mods,admins, and Paul?:big_smile:

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, John, my attempt to lighten it up at your request........there is a rail service in seattle that serves the south lake union area.....what is its acronym that is gaining popularity?:smile2:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    to answer one question, the sailor is still a sailor in a sub. he just doesnt have as much fresh air as the one on top.

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    55.5# bucket of stones x 16oz per #= 888.0 oz divided by 6 oz per stone = 148 stones x 2 birds per stone =296 birdies with lil x's for eyes. The 2 oz chip is just a misleader, its still a throwable stone. :wink:

11. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If the squid is in a sub, and the sub is under water, I would venture to guess that he aint gonna hit any birds with them stones. The water would slow them down too much to reach the birds!:wink::smile2:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Yup thats what I came up with too ,Johnny.

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

A sailor on top! NO WAY!!!!!!!!:wink:

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice responses here helping you out Phil. You have more friends (er. acquaintances) than you thought. I didn't see you pushing any pencil though. Yes in fact Wabash and Central, Triple sevens, Reloaded hit the nail on the head with a sledge hammer. Big-Muddied came through too. BG was helpful true to his form. Harrison actually ran in the Marine Corp?

I do have a problem though Phil. Hep me, hep me here. I started putting up these little posts by saying I thought you and I were kindred spirits. I still think that. However, Helrig, with his comments has me thinking I might be a kindred spirit to him too. That ain't good Phil. That in fact could be dangerous. I have a reputation here to uphold, and if I begin to think I think like Helrig all He$$ could break lose.

As far as the question goes. Mathematically members have nailed it. I think they did, I didn't check with my nuclear physics professor.

There is as gnat in the eye here so to speak. We are dealing with a Navy guy. Very good men all, but these guys are used to tying bights on bowlines, eating and waving semaphores and getting out from under. Physically he had a problem. He got off 10 stones (20 dead chipping sparrows) and he tore his rotator cuff. He got a tear in his eye and headed for Sick Bay. He had an Army guy step in for him to finish the job. All available Marines were heading to China.

Gotta go. Gotta see Tanya about raspberries and rep points. My plane leaves in an hour for Seattle. If any of you other guys know the answer to Phils question, slop it down here. I don't like to fly.

Later, John aka TOF

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My guess would be 0 birds for one how would they get in the Sub? Another thing to consider is this is a Navy guy assumably underway so his hands would be way too busy to be picking up rocks:smile2::tounge_out::wink::eek:oooh:

16. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    For some reason, I was of the opinion that Brother ryagn would step in and correct some items in the first sentence of PB's post, but he did not. Sir John, a ship does not sit on the top of the water, approx. 1/2 or greater of it's bulk is below the water line. That is why we had more fatalities below deck during war time than above/on deck. Now a sub. on the other hand, has been known to go below the water line and stay there for a spell. Stone throwers they are not, but some of them know how to get stoned when they get ashore.

Brother jim, you need to pull back the reins a little bit about your remarks about the Navy. Do you know who funds your pay check? When did you become a Marine? Here doggie, doggie, nice doggie!

Poor Phil, he can not get a chance to answer PB's question due to all his comrades beating him to the punch. When he does get up to bat, he answers with another question. No, no, no, the game is not played that way.

This thread is beginning to sound like a BatMan series, with you know who being the Joker.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Sorry Mac my hands were busy :big_smile::crazy::eek:oooh::tounge_out::embarassed:

18. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Oh, my mind is reeling.

Ok, what is the tare weight of the bucket at sea level? Were the stones weighed on deck or below? Was the sub partialy equalized under way? Were any of the sparrows carrying fertile eggs? How many days before an embrio is considered a chipping sparrow? Why would anyone be able to assume the sub was under water?

Not enough input to so...so...so....sol....solv...

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for nothin' guys. You know I hated to fly. You didn't help and I had to go all the way to Seattle to scope Phil's question out. Nothin' but a bunch of cheese eating left wingers out there.

Anyhow, took a ride on the South Union Local Streetcar. Wasn't even a train and I thought I might see George and his beard. Nope, no such luck. Phil they have a clever acronym for that rail service.

S.L.U.T Catchy, like watching shows on television anymore.

'nother one comin' at ya as soon as I can think something up. Have a good day Phil.

John. Your brother in the Motherhood of all Brotherhoods.

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, now John, give me a minute....the wife has traipsed off to californy for a few days, and as always happens, i have to work while she is gone to pay the trip:embarassed:

i can't get busy the 2 weeks before she leaves....ooooh noooo...they are always slow, and i have to take all i can get...she has this little voodoo thing going on that makes me have to work the whole time she is gone:angry:

anywho, i'll give this some thought in the morrow:big_smile: