Pheasant

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Mr Phatkat, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Anyone ever trap pheasant? I grew up doin it with very good success. We'd take the connibear muskrat trap with the fork in the middle, bend the fork at the midsection to a 90degree angle, take a milk jug cap and fill with popcorn(uncooked) then, squirt a little crazy glue into the cap, then heat up the forks on the trap and slide the cap onto it. We'd go out in evening (city limits...at the time u could trap in city limits but not hunt) find the tree they were gonna roost in, and set the traps (tied to bricks or nearby brush) and check em in the morning..Got many pheasant that way. Also took same traps and put small piece of apple on the fork and got many, many rabbit that way. I was talkin to a guy the other day, who trapped his whole life but never heard of either of these methods, but was astonished all the same.. I thought that's the way everybody did. Anybody familiar?

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    ...Ill take that as a no. :confused:

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never seen a pheasant roost in a tree before. As far as trapping them we just shoot them here. It's heck of a lot more funner hunting birds behind a dog.

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think its illegal to trap birds here in Kansas. I haven't seen anyone trapping pheasants but when I was a kid alot of ducks were taken from rafts with steel leghold traps and corn for bait. After mono line came out some people used small hooks and mono line tied to the raft. The ducks swallowed the hook and were there waiting when the trapper came to get them. I'm not saying it was legal or ethical, just that it was often done.

5. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Ive seen em roost in the closest big tree (@about dusk) to thier(ground)beds. I don't know that we did it much for fun, besides, this was in city limits(no guns).