Pheasant Opener

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Oct 21, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Pheasants were all over yesterday!!!

17 in one hour for our group! How'd everyone else do?

That rooster ranch in Ubly is a fantastic place for a day hunt. The dog was unbelievable, they fed us VERY well and on top of all that we have some pheasants to smoke up!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats Super Sal. I ame going to do some pheasant hunting this year. I have this super English springer and He needs to start earning his keep. LOL. Your Friend J.D.:0a24:

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Go Sal!
    If you smoke 'em, don't inhale too deep, and if you eat 'em, don't get any feathers stuck in your teeth!!

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Those are great people up there Sal. Kim and his sons run a quite a program at the Rooster Ranch. I've been there different times. They put on quite a feed there for lunch and dinner. I've been there for Roast Turkey, Hog on the spit, and even a trout dinner. It's always been great.
    Sparky

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I forgot to mention, I went out hunting on Saturday morning. I took Part-time's new Golden Lab. (She is just 7 or 8 months old). She looked like she had the idea to hunt, but we didn't put up any birds.
    Better luck next time. There just doesn't seem to be the birds there use to be. As a matter of fact, I have only seen two hunters this year. Where I live, use to be the Pheasant capitol of the state, but not any more.
    Sparky

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    ya know sparky,
    I think Im gonna try and replecate that big smoker they have out there. Heck, I betcha I can smoke 200 lbs of meat at a time in that thing using two cast iron fry pans, an old canning pot, and one burner and the shelves from about 6 or 8 old barbecue grills. All I have to do is build the box! Their smoker is made out of brick and mortar, but I believe something more portable can be made out of metal.... Im gonna stew on the idea and come up with a solution. In the meantime, Ill smoke them birds up in my lil 80lb smoker and chew and think.

I think Im going back to that ranch soon. That was just too much fun. Im thinking Nov 4th.... but I will have to see about paying for it first. LOL
    :lol: of course.

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey Guys,
    Have any of you fished Sessions Lake?
    Do you fish channel cats in cold weather?
    I'll be there for a Scout campout this weekend, and I'll have time to try the fishing.
    What would you do to catch channels in a lake in 42 degree weather?
    Hope you are all dealing well with this wet fall weather, I can't say that I'm liking it too much myself...
    Best,
    Tony

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Tony,
    Answer to your first question is No! Answer to your second question is No! Answer to your third question, leave your fishing gear at home, bulid a nice fire and sit with a cup of hot coffee and shoot the bull with the Scouts.LOL
    As far as this wet weather is concerned, I hate it. I still have 18 acres of Spuds in the ground, and can't get them out. 45 acres of beans I can't get off. And needless to say, time is running out.
    With all of this complaining, I think I'll go Squirrel hunting.
    Good luck on your cold weather catfish - Scout outting.
    Sparky

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    And I thought I had problems! Good luck Sparky, I'm prayin' for sunshine!

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Heck I thought this was one of those TV specials ,you know Pheasant Opener only 19.95 but wait theres more etc.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: Sure do miss Pheasant hunting and eating.Had lots of opportunity in Colo and adjoining states like Kansas and Neb.Sounds like you did well Sal.MMMMMNNN smoked pheasant.:big_smile:

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Im going back toward Deckerville late this friday and hunting for a bit on Saturday.

Saturday night Ill be headed back home- sometime after dinner. Want to meet for coffee?

-Sal

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Just got off the phone with my grandpa- I wont be able to do this actually, as he will need to get home early on Saturday aand we will be carpooling.

Next time Ill give ya more notice...

Sal

13. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Your first post got me all excited! Then came the let down. Oh well, next time we'll make it a date. Coffee, Cocktail, bite to eat, who knows maybe all three.
    Keep in touch.
    Sparky