Pheasant hunting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Sep 10, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    How many of you are pheasant hunting this year? according to DNR reports thus far, our pheasant population is down about 40% due to the bad winter and floods, do you think it's really worth it?

2. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I think any time spent doing what you love outdoors is time well spent. I'm not much of a pheasant hunter but I love walking the fields while watching a dog or 2 work the birds. The last time I went I slung the shotgun over my shoulder and watched the dogs.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I will be making a couple of attempts this year, but I will also be traveling to places I know hold birds more then road hunting and random spots. I think I am going to focus on duck and maybe getting me a deer!

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/upmaps.html

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    no pheasants really on the eastern part of the state where i live. your chances of shooting a deer are a lot better than going out and shooting a pheasant. hum, weird. i spend too much time and money duck hunting.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
  6. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Excuse me Boys there are still fish to catch !!!!!!!!! or did you forget..... It's the brotherhood of catfishermen not brotherhood of pheasent hunters...

7. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i pheasant hunt alot and the best place is in the nw corner of the state and you can find them around winterset havent been there in acouple years but we had good luck then. If you know someone who lives in spencer up by okoboji you should go up there opening day thats where im headed and this is an open forum it doesnt have to be about fishing all the time

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i don't even have my hunter's safety done yet...

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    When is opening day? I've never been pheasant hunting we don't have em where I'm originally from in oklahoma but I have hunted quail for several years

10. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    it opens on the 25th of October and goes through the 11th of jan