Pharmacy drug markups

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You know you can save a couple of bucks by getting generic drugs instead of brand names. But do you know how much those generics really cost and how much profit the phamacies are making on them? Take a look at this http://web.wxyz.com/extras/040205-drugchart.html

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Unbelievable. I've always know that pharmecuticals (compnaies and pharmacies) are just in it for the dollars. It irks me to no end how people can exploit a person's illness to earn a dollar. :glare:

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Interesting post.

And I always thought it was the pharmaceutical industry that made all the profit!

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If that don't give you a headache, nothin' will...

People will do tomorrow what they did today because that is what they did yesterday.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm taking 2 and go to bed. :)

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    VA uses some generics. Guess they would for all if generics were available. They recently went up to $8 per prescription for three month supply....but I'm not complaining at that minor increase.... that's still like almost giving them away compared to prices at pharmacies.

The real mess is in the new Medicare Drug plan. My wife has insurance and a prescription card from where I worked but it's all changed now due to the new MC drug plan and she is not in the new plan. She has spent hours on the phone, waiting, trying to talk with someone at Aetna insurance... finally last night she got a person.. he said sometimes they had over 400 people waiting.
    He said she should be getting her prescriptions in a couple weeks..... he hoped!

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hear ya on the new Medicare Drug plan

My Aunt , 85 I think, she called me and is in a mental mess over it. She cant understand much of it. She is also a Vet. She tells me they are forcing her to get on plan. She also has her own insurance and S.S. I dont know what to tell her. I tied looking it up. Blows my mind. I told her to just pick one based on her Med needs and dont look back. She is too old to be worrying about it.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dano,
    This might help.
    After I had already decided to stay out of the Medicare drug plan, I got a letter from VA. It says "the VA drug benefit has been determined to be as good as the benefit provided under a Medicare Part D purposes." It also says not to lose that letter.
    In my books VA drug plan is much better than the MC plan.

My wife got the same type letter from her insurance. She has Medicare and Aetna provided from where I worked.

oops.. made an error in my last post.. my VA drugs each cost $8 @month when getting 3 month supply. :eek:

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    If you need information on the drug plan it is best to call Medicare not the insurance co. Medicare will go through all the plans and tell you several that are best for you. Also if you are low income you can get SS to pay part or all the cost.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Agree about calling Medicare if you need information.

My wife wasn't calling her insurance for advice... she was trying to order her medication. The insurance companies are having all kinds of problem since the new Medicare Plan started. Today she started ordering medication from her insurance online.
    Back last year she received forms from Aetna insurance about the Medicare plan and how to continue her present drug insurance.

There is a clause in the new Medicare Drug Plan that if a person doesn't accept it this year there will be a penalty to sign up later. That is, unless their present drug plan is with VA or a Qualified Insurance Company. (Qualified by Medicare)

11. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Thank my employer my scripts are free if I get generic. Thank my employer my insurance is free also. My last job I payed 50 a week to have insurance.

12. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Tammy has been in nursing school for years.
    In one one her classes, they discussed "generic" vs. "name brand" drugs. They studied many real case studies that showed that generics were as good as and sometimes , even better than their name brand counterparts.

13. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I agree FW. Being the lowely husband to the best pharmacist in the world (maybe this will get me some valentine points . . .) I have learned that usually generics are an almost identical match. O.K. . . . granted I also was able to learn that the pharmacy usually makes more on generics than brand drugs, but they still save the customer money over the brand.:0a30:

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    What a scam.
    ---------------------------------------

olefin, I dont know what to tell her. She doesn't let me know everything about her business but yet she ask for help. LOL.
    I think she will end up OK. She has taken care of her business so that what ever she does, she want suffer as for as paying for her needs. Not rich, just got what it takes to keep herself in good health and aid if she needs it.
    She is from Weather ford Texas. When she decides what to do, she will come stay with us a few days to get an OK. Really its so she can relax and vent a little on my ears. I dont mind cause she has always been a good hard working woman who likes me. I aint got many friends. LOL.
    besides, she is the last on my Moms side.

I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case someone post anymore helpful hints.

15. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I just call 'em revinuers, some other way for the government to get into your already stretched budget. They must think that drawing your own money constitutes being independently wealthy.

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I know they spend millons on R and D but thats just not right! I mean making a profit is one thing but...........
    Bill