PH AND WATER TEMP??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by allena, Apr 12, 2008.

1. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve fished for cat a long time. I have mostly done bank fishing and haven`t paid much attention to these 2 factors. In your opinion what is the best range for PH if your fishing cats? It wouldn`t stop me from fishin, but something else to consider besides temp. and water levels.:0a21:

2. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Interesting question. pH levels are not something I had considered. I wouldn't think they would change rapidly enough to effect behavior, but I don't know. Maybe someone else will have some information for us. ​

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I'm not sure cats are terribly sensitive to ph but water temperature is huge factor. Warmer water carries smells better yet too warm causes it to hold less oxygen and will have less bait fish. 55 to 70 degree water is optimum........... higher and it isnt a healthy enviroment for the fish to live. I have had a 55 gal. aquarium for 20 yrs and have studied various north american fish closely. I have noticed some peculiar habits in several species ,.......... bass are overly aggressive and miss minnows about half the time whereas crappie are deadly accurate. When feeding on night crawlers they will always circle around to dark end of worm prior to eating. Crappie will lay on their sides and try and sneek up on minnows with small side fin. Green Sunfish flare their gills where spot on flap is or ocellus and swim in circles to appear like a larger fish. And when in current channel cat will school almost always.

4. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I know alot of bass fishing shows i`ve seen show that bass are sensitive to PH levels. I`m sure it has some to do with all aquatic life but not sure to what extent. I thought this may be a good topic for some head scratchin`. Keep the answers comin and maybe we`ll see what happens.

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Been looking on the net for a couple days and the only articles I`ve found on this has to do with pond raised cats and ammonia. I just thought as river levels drop and temps rise, there would be a change in ph and O2 levels.