Pflueger Trion 66 Round Baitcast Fishing Reel Review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    In the short time I have been on BOC I have notice several folks asking questions about this reel. I have been using them a couple years so here is my input on them.

It's a rock solid reel
    Holds 250 yards of 14lb mono and 160 yards of 20lb mono
    Rated: heavy freshwater and medium saltwater
    My reels cast smooth
    I have been very satisfied with the drags on these reels
    Handles both mono and Power Pro well
    Has titanium line guides for braid
    Gear ratio-5:2:1
    6 bearing system
    Weight: 11.9 oz
    6 pin adjustable braking system
    Has baitclicker
    Has thumb bar
    Price approx $90-100

I fish from shore and docks mostly at Lake of the Ozarks so although we have some current its nothing like some of you guys have on rivers. The negatives concerning this is as with most baitcasters of this type, the baitclickers are NOT going to hold against heavy current and are not all that loud. I usually sit in front of mine or do not wonder far so that is no issue for me. After 2 years of use I give it 2 thumbs up.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Ken. I think I am going to get one before long.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ken: Maybe you seen my post about the trion model 66, I too am taken by this reel. Thanks for all the information you put forward.

Any of the many abu users should like this reel. I also use mine when I go to florida doing nothing more than rinsing with fresh water afterwards.

I think this reel has been over looked, $100.00 for a big fish reel is a more than fair price for a reel that I feel is better than most that cost double that price.

As I stated before I am replacing at least 6 of my catfish reels with the trion 66 model. What I didn't say before was that I tried one of the flueguer president reels when they came out and now all my bass reels are the presidents. I have reels costing 250.00 that don't perform as well as my flueguers.

I am spoiled and love these reels.

Danny

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    If you want to wait for a backorder..I saw yesterday Bass Pro Shop on-line has these reels on sale for about $70.

5. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I have one and it's a great reel!

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I use Power Pro on some of my Trions and so far I have not convinced myself anything larger is needed..seems to me those big reels are somewhat bulky and definately do not cast like the Trion. As far as line capacity..I feel with the use of Power Pro..problem solved. Only thing missing is the stiff baitclicker holding in current...but then I don't have that problem just lake fishing. Good fishing to all, I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in on these reels.

7. sharpshod

sharpshod New Member

State:
    vermont
    I bought one of the pflueger president reels and loved it until I tried it in salt water. my sister and her husband live in rhode island so when I went to visit I brought my gear . I was catching a few small blues and having fun when the reel started to fall apart on me the finish bubbled up and the handle fell apart. Shakespeare who makes pflueger took it back and replaced it and then sent me a bill for it. I was not impressed over all:mad:

8. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Uhh... President reels are meant for freshwater only... That'll happen to about any freshwater reel. I sure wouldn't take my Daiwa Capricorn baitcasting reel to the ocean. :)

9. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I too have been looking at this Trion a lot lately, bought a President 2 years ago and have been nothing more than extremely happy with it, expect nothing less from the Trion. I've got a Browning Six Rivers round baitcaster with baitclicker which works very well but look forward to this Trion, thanks for the input guys!

-Matt

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Several years ago Pflueger sent me the Owners Manual & Warranty for a Pflueger Trion 66 per my request.I got it and it was for the Cabela's SALTSTRIKER SS6600.I called back,and was told that was what they had at the time and "it was correct and good for the Pflueger Trion 66,Cabelas SALTSTRIKER SS6600,Shakespeare 6600G and Medalist BC 6600".This appears to be correct in all aspects to me when comparing a Trion 66 and SaltStriker SS6600 internally and externally.I have never seen the other two,and do not know.

Cabela's happened to have the Saltstriker SS6600 on sale for $49.99 a couple of years ago and comes with their Lifetime warranty.It works great with the old .008" 30 lb.Magibraid line and Bass Pro's $25.00 Powerplus Trophy Class rod # 1055 7'6" Med Hvy Act. 1/2-2 oz. Lure wt. 10-25 lb.line 7G 05D rod.I did not go to a heavier rod as I fish for smaller catfish and the rig can be used for fresh and saltwater bait casting,bait fishing flounder,red fish and trout along with the mighty Bow Fin,Chain Pickerel or even a bass for catfish bait.The rig is great for fishing in and around water Lillie's as the line cuts them.Others have really liked it.

I have little ability left and can really give nothing a good try.I get about 30 feet on a good cast with it and everything else.This is a far cry from my good old days.They do well on 6 lb.Bow Fin as has/does all of my fresh water fishing gear no matter who is using it.My gear attracts Bow Fin!

This rig is great for live or dead bait fishing Shrimp and minnows in fresh or saltwater,top or bottom.I wish I had it 50 years ago,and I never owned a Bait caster nor had a desire to until about 3 years ago.I have never had a desire to catch a Bass after tasting my first one as a child.I never saw a bait caster used for anything but bass fishing.I may have missed something.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This was pretty much the story with all bait casters that I ever saw used in Saltwater from the early 50's until the 90's.What the sharks did not destroy corrosion did.My son tossed a very expensive Aba Garcia shortly after using it to Saltwater fish with me.He was told it would stand up to it.Someone lied about the reel and the warranty.He tried Diawa.Same thing happened.

You could not fish unless your rig could survive large sharks often weighing hundreds to thousands of pounds.Your catch was their bait.With Penns you simply re spooled.With bait casters,you best have spare reels.Even the survivors corroded up between trips.I hear wonderful tales of them being the best thing on saltwater since the boat,but never ever saw it myself.If it were true,there would seem to be thousands of old ones around the coast as there are the Penns.I wonder where they all are?

I think the demise of most of the sharks,new metal alloys and new materials have helped them come to saltwater."Look ma,very few sharks" have been the big thing.Record sharks were caught off the beaches in those old days!

Some reels survived for years in freshwater by having a drag that would handle nothing but small fish(by saltwater standards).A lifetime warranty was a big seller with these reels.As folk kept putting in decent aftermarket drags and destroying them,the company finely put in a decent drag and tossed the old warranty.It seems they only held up so good with a light drag that did not stress the reel very much.Had they held up,there would have been no use or need to toss the "selling and bragged about" warranty.A 7-12 lb.drag had little stress.I loved to watch the fight when the little Tarpon destroed the Baitcasters in the freshwater canals of South west Florida in the 50's!

Us folk are like frogs.We judge by the size of the pond we know and fish in.I have no use for breeding stock(Big fish),so I never sport fished for them.Now some 50 lb.40 MPH fish that I occasionally fished for were not big fish.I think it is great that some bait casters are improving to better standards.Now some reels of all types seem to be regressing to increase the profit margin.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee