Pflueger Contender?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by blackhorse83, Dec 31, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anyone know anything about these reels? I have found a deal on them and plan on buying a few if I can get any information about them. Thanks in advance.

2. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have one with the Lever Drag.No complaints from me.Look to add a few more shortly.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the information. And by the way, welcome!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check with ACE.I think he bought one back in the spring for his wife.He should know by now.You can look up his post on the "Search".His post was impressive as have been many about Pflueger reels.I have known ABU fans to switch.I am not sure but I think that Cabela's Salt Striker 6600X is basicly a Pflueger Trion 66 which is favored by some Santee Cooper Guides for Big Cats and Some Gulf of Mexico Guides for Red fish,etc.The Salt Striker 6600X is on sale at a heck of a cut rate right now at Cabela's.Luck,peewee

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm also interested in hearing from anyone using the Pflueger or Cabela's Salt Striker reels.

I'm looking to add one more baitcaster, either an ABU 6000 or Salt Striker. Looks like the Salt Striker should be a smoother, better casting reel.

I'd love to hear from anyone using these.

Shawn

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cabala's has 3 reviews for the Trion 66 and 17 reviews for their Salt Striker on their catalog site.The Pflueger and Shakespeare sites on line have some nice pictures of very nice and large fish caught on the Trion 66.Cabela's has the Salt Striker Bait cast 6600X reel on sale for half price at $49.99 in their "Bargain Cave".They have upped the regular price by $10.00 each to $99.99 this year.Pretty much a 2 for one sale.They were "Back Ordered" for 6 weeks,now down to 1 week.I had A man in Savannah Georgia Brag about them to me for "Bass,Cats,Pickerel,Crappie,,American Shad,Striped,white and hybrid Bass in fresh water and for Striped Bass,Sheepshead.trout,flounder and Red fish in salt water".Claimed that "they worked great with with both and he used them with both Mono and Braid".He claimed "Saltwater didn;t hurt them and that they were the best thing that has come along since Grits and Sweet Potatoes".I asked him "where he was born and raised".He said "on a farm in Georgia".Well now,you cain;t get any better recommendation than that down South.That is sort of like swearing with one hand on the Holy Bible and the other on Mama's Grave.If you lie on a Grits or Sweet Potato oath,your soul is surly going to hell.This is a known and accepted fact.That is why those lawyers and judges(who are ex lawyers) don;t allow it's use in court.I have been very interested in them every since and I do not know for a fact but believe the two reels are basically the same.Wish you the best of luck.I love you brother.peewee

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I heard good feedback on the spinning model of the Cabela's reel, so I did order one of the Salt Striker baitcasters. Hard to beat that 2 for 1 price....

I'll report back how I like it...

Shawn

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Last month Cabela's started out with a "6 week" backorder on the Salt Striker 6600X.They got down to "0-1 week".They are now back up to "1-2 weeks" today.The Pflueger Trion 66 has gone to"NA".What rod are you planning on mounting it on and what Brand,test and kind of Line?I love you brother.peewee

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 7' older shimano convergence medium heavy graphite (muskie type) rod. Light tip, but plenty of backbone.

I've been using the 15# Stren High Impact, but I'll probably spool 20# original Stren or High Impact on this one. I'll be using it to toss live baits around cover for flats.

Shawn

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Lady at Cobela's said they were filling back orders and taking orders for the Salt Striker today.They should be delivered next week.I am suppose to put some line on one and I am very eager to look at one.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee