Pflueger Contender Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by blackhorse83, Apr 8, 2007.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I took ownership of 2 new Pflueger Contender G30 reels this weekend, and mounted them on 7' 20 to 40# heavy rods, they cast like a dream and are smoooooth to operate. I will post again after I catch a few blues on them but with 30# big came they so far are really good.

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'm a Pfluger man....Keep me posted on how they perform....I've got a 7580 Contender spinning reel comeing as we speak.....I also own a 66 Trion baitcaster.....DemoMan

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dwight you wanted to know about the G30 Contender, it's great, very smoth and cast really good for a big reel.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info.....I'll check em out....DemoMan

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Lyle,

Which reel did you get, the Lever Drag or the Trolling????Dwight

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's the g 30 model, I believe it's the trolling but I don't have it handy, I'll check and get back to you.

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Any reports on the contender????DemoMan

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes, used it several times in the last couple weeks and I like it. Very strong, and low geared for power, smooth and cast very well, maybe not as well as a 7000 but it is a lot bigger and the low gears make it a winch. I'm running 30 # Cajun red on one and 30 # Big Game on the other. I have used Peens for years and every thing else I can find to put on test rods and this is one of the top 3 or 4 I have used. I like it better than my 209's.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the review....I'm gonna get one later on...Finally found someone who had a Contender 7580 Spinning reel...Ordered one and found out they have discontinued it at Pflueger....Oh well, got any good rods????Dwight

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Shakespeare bought out Penn, or so I hear....There's a few that believe they will "trash" the reels, I don't think so.....Dwight

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yes I do have a couple of rods. My son bought a Pflueger Spinning reel from walmart in a close out we striped the rod and rebuilt it cause it only had 4 guides on it. It now has 7 guides and and seems to work very well.