Pflueger Contender question.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by USE TO BE, Aug 22, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do the Contender trolling reels have a spool break capable of holding a large bluegill in place? How loud is the clicker? The G50 in particular. In looking at the pictures, it looks like there is no adjustment on the left side, is it under the star drag? That would mean it is kind of hard to get to. I have a couple of Abu 7000's and 9000's and I love them because of the versatility of spool break. Are the Contenders set up similar to the Abu's? I fish for big Flatheads and I need to be able to hold large bait in place.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    The G50 is a pretty big reel i dont have the 50 but my brother n law does and its almost too big to me, you may have other ideas. The G30 however holds i believe a few more yrds than the 7000 and is imo the perfect reel:big_smile: i have 1 G30 and see more in my future. the cast control is on the right side but it really isnt that bad to get to. its oversized with lots of traction so ajusting it is pretty easy and if you got some good pinchers you can tighten it down to hold pretty tight. the clicker is ok it doesent hold alot and isnt the loudest but to me the clicker doesent make the reel. the drag on it amps up real quick and could eaisly be used to hold the clicker. my buddie at work has been using a 7000 and a 7500 for like 10 years now i talked him into getting a G30 about a month ago and last weekend he told me he wanted another one so that should say something.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Listen to this man, he fishes often and hard so it's it works for him you likely won't be disappointed. Makes me want to look at some:wink:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    actually if thats whats most important to you a lever drag reel is probally what your looking for. using the lever drag with the clicker is easy, all you do is slide it up untill the clicker stops pulling out, when a fish bites slide it on up and hold on. if your interested i have a pflueger G30L lever drag wich is around the same size as the G50, non levelwind, that im thinking of selling to get a G30. Pm me if interested.