Pflueger Contender G50HS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CatAngler, Jan 12, 2008.

1. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I Just thought I would share some pics & info on my preferred reel of choice when targeting trophy Cats.

The Pflueger Contender G50HS Trolling Reel;
    -Line Capacity 30lb/430yds (they actually hold more)
    - Weighs 21.6oz
    - Gear Ratio 3.6.1
    - Stainless Steel/ Graphite Body
    - Levelwind
    - Clicker
    - It's rated as a medium/heavy salt water reel
    - They'll set you back around $70.00ea

I just completed my second season with these reels & I couldn't be more happy. These things are built to last & have a drag system that is absolutley flawless. Their isn't a fresh water fish that would push these reels past their limitations. I keep four of these reels in my arsenal whether I'm fishing from my boat or a bank.

I would strongly reccomend this for it's performance & price. The reel in my pics was just spooled with Berkly Big Game 40lb/330yds

J

Attached Files:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a very nice reel.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    It looks like a solid reel, thanks for pics.

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    It looks like a solid reel, thanks for pics.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jeremiah - Thanks for the reel review, photos and specs on the Pflueger. Its nice to see these kind of reports when reel shopping! :cool2:

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Jeramiah, how is the castability on the pflueger reel?

Jaime

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im thinking about getting one of those reels. Good to hear a positive review before buying one. Thanks

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeremiah,My Father in law just bought one and he used it while we fished over my Christmas vacation,He said that it might become one of his favorite reels,The only drawback I see is the extremely slow retreive,I watched him take about 5 full minets reeling in a 12.5 lb blue,an he was horsin it too.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have the G30 (smaller than the G50) and the one time i tried to see how far it would cast, i had it on a 7' mh tiger with a 5oz no roll witch got real hard to see before the splash. all i got to say is i wish id tried the contenders before id tried the penn gto's. three G30's:still_dreaming: any one wanna trade their G30 for a 220gto:big_smile::0a28::crazy:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    on a side note i also have the G30L (lever drag) it like most ld reels doesent have ,ajustment, for cast breaks but its got got um. my penn ld reel doesent:embarassed:. but any way i havent got to cast the G30l mutch but it doesent look like its gonna be a real distance caster. the cast control on it seems like overkill the spool turns smooth as silk but i cant get any speed out of it. im gonna try some different rods and weights and see what i cant come up with. if nuthing else i should have the boat out this year and i can just move closer to were i want to cast it:big_smile:

11. catfishingham

catfishingham New Member

State:
    Ohio

CatAngler, Thanks for the report, was looking at contender,
    and Gto's. After seeing your report I will probably get a
    Contender.

Thanks,
    Dick Keiper, (Catfishingham):0a31:

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

I'm very happy with the way this reel casts, especially when your throwing out large weight (example: 10" gill with an 8oz no roll sinker.) When I bank fish, I take my G50s off of my boat rods & put them on 10' rods and I can chuck out bait as far as or as close as I want. Hope this answers your question.

J

13. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Hey Richard,

They do have a very slow retrieve, these are med/heavy salt water reels that are designed to bring in some major weight. Hence they have a slower retrieve with lots of torque. Three years ago when I first saw these reels being used, the guys using them were fishing for bull & reef sharks in the neighborhood of 200lbs.:cool2:

J

14. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Here's a couple more pics of the reel next to one of my old retired Bass reels. This is to give those a size perspective if you haven't seen one of the Contender reels before.

J

Attached Files:

15. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Correct me if i am wrong but the G50HS is a high speed model so the retrieve steps up to 6.0 : 1 or so. At least its better than 3.8 retrieve if i remember

16. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice reel I have seen these reels and im thinking about purchasing one

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    people with the gto's or considering them, throw them in the trash and get a 320GT2, do yourself justice, I'd hate for you to waste your money

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i heard they quit making these reels is that true. i have one and haven't got to try it out yet. i heard getting parts for it is a bear.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it wouldnt supprize me if they did, i hope not i love the G30. i hope i dont have to find out about parts. i think i read they make/keep parts for 10 years after a reel has stopped production.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they are stopping production of the G30 and G50 contenders. asked at one of the baitshops where i go that fixes reels and they say they can't get parts for them so they never did sell them or fix them.