PFD life vests

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by randallewis, Mar 28, 2009.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I'm considering buying a pfd that automatically inflates when it gets wet vs one that you have to pull a cord to inflate. I'm concerned that rain will cause the auto one to inflate. Any thoughts or experience on this?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The auto inflate that I have has a manual inflate also. Never any problems from the heat or rain.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Randall, if you go this route, some states require that you wear it to count. Just check your state boating laws.

I have a couple and they are quite nice. I did have them inflate when stored in the boat storage compartment, probably do to high heat.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ill stick with my old life jacket . but let us know how it works

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    In Louisiana if your boat is 16' or less and powered by a motor w/ a tiller handle you must wear your pfd and have a kill lanyard attached to your person.

I'm going to find one that is comfortable and wear it all the time.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have the manual type that I got for my son and self for a tournament. It only took a few times to have it on and it's second nature now, I'm not without it. There have been times that I get about 1/2 way home and realize I still have it on in the truck.

7. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    I've got three of the automatic ones . had two of em for a couple years and never had a problem . get the auto ones , if you fall overboard and hit your head the manual one not going to do you any good !!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If an auto goes off atleast you know it would of worked when needed.Rearming kits are not that bad in price to save a life.
    Instances of people on the site setting their manuals off accidently!:wink::smile2:

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use them almost every day, and love them. I have a couple of Stearns, and one Mustang. The Mustang is a little less bulky, and a little more comfortable. Never had to test one yet, personally, but I know of a couple of cases where they preformed exactly as expected. The bobbin in the Stearns is susceptible to excess moisture in storage; don't store it in a boat locker if it's wet. The Mustang uses a different system that inflates if the unit is submerged in more than 5" of water, or something like that, and is less susceptible to moisture. I've used them both in howling rain without a problem, though.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I was to buy one it would be either way on inflate and be sure the kill switch works good luck

11. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    As things go on, I am intending to go with an upgrade auto type, since I'm by my self most of the time, everybody had good points about falling over and can't reach or be able to pull the manual.