Pets and losing them

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, i am pretty bummed out right now. as many of you know, i had 6 dogs til the old man dog had to be put down a couple of months ago. i have 5 left, a miniature beagle (beautiful girl, just hates one of the other dogs), a german shepherd (the apple of my wifes eye and an excellent dog all around), and 3 mutts. now all these dogs are near and dear to me. the beagle(dixie) hates boogie(she is twice the size of dixie) and never misses a chance to nip or snipe at her. dixie has gotten many reprimands for that behaviour, but she has never quit. boogie is crazy about me, and i think that is where the beagles jealousy comes in. well, the wife is on vacation in california and i left the beagle outside with the other dogs last night. when i got up this morning i went outside and didn't see dixie. i looked around and directly she comes easing up to me. she is encrusted in dried blood. i took a hose to her and rinsed her off gently. when i started cleaning her neck it started bleeding profusely.Boogie had blood all over her chest and nose, but it wasn't hers. i immediately took dixie to the vet. she was cut up on her head and neck, but she also had a hole in her neck that was bleeding. he went in and tied the bleeding vessel off and sewed her neck up. she is back home now, and on the couch. she is very weak. i have no idea when this happened last night, but she lost a LOT of blood.

i think she will make it, but it is gonna be a long haul for the little stinker. on one hand, i would like to kill boogie. on the other, i know the beagle instigated it. i guess the beagle is about as sharp about some things as me, poor thing.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I know how you feel.I think of my dogs as my kids!!! Prayers are sent for you both.Hope he gets better soon.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My old dog has been sewed up so many times I can't count them. His latest was getting punctured by something sharp that went in his belly all the way into his hip. They had to put drains in him and he had to wear one of those cone collars for a while, but he's over it now. I've had him for about 14 years.

He's getting so old that I expect to find him dead any time now. He tried to get up the back steps today and made it up a few steps and just layed down. He couldn't go up or back down. I had to pick him up a carry him down. He weighs about 90 pounds.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Phill I know Just what you mean a person can sure become attached to those dogs(and Cats) I bought an English springer a year and a half ago so I would have me a fishing partner when I retire in a copple years. man that dog has found his way into my Heart. I don't know what i would do if something happened to him. And you Know I hate to admit it But I worry about that. That Rascal gets me in more trouble with the wife always into something. I told her he woulden't get to big probably around 40 pounds or so just a nice house dog and companion well no one told him that 75 pounds later and still growing. I shure hope Dixie will be alright Sir I know How your feeling. Best of Luck And a Prayer sent for your FRIEND.J.D.Straka

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sorry about your dogs Phil. I am an animal lover too and sometimes it does get difficult! I hope all turns out ok!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Phil I know how you feel. But the truth be known you know you are going to get whooped when the wife gets home for letting that happen.:smile2:

Hope the little dickens gets better. They are very resilient

7. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Phil,
    Too bad about your friend, but at least the outlook will probably be fine. We've had to put 3 pets to sleep in the last year. Thankfully they all had reached old age, but they almost came up and said "it's time". As much as I fussed and cleaned up after them for the last 15 years, I miss em lots more than I thought I would. Hope all works out well with your bunch. Good Luck

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Phil, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope Dixie continues on the path to recovery. I hate to see one of my animals get hurt, it just breaks my heart. Must be difficult that Boogie is the one who seems to be the culprit.:angry:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

actually, Tanya, dixie is the culprit. she antagonizes boogie every chance she gets. boogie is just a dog - soon or later any animal is gonna have enough of that.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I know it Phil......isn't that just the way of the animal kingdom. Poor Dixie, though, even though she brought it on herself, she's still the one who is suffering. :sad2:

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Phil I know how you feel. I was working in my garden today when one of my kittens got in with the dogs through the back gate. It didn't last long. I couldn't get there fast enough. Damn it was my favorite one. My Shepard loves cats,but the Malamute hates them! I cant scold the dog,it's just her nature. I was so bummed I didn't go fishing tonight. oh well such is life. Your wifes dog will make it I'm sure. Giver her a pat for me, and a atta girl..

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Phil ,sorry to hear about your dog. Hope she recovers ok. You said that dixie egged this on .Sad thing is she will most likely do it again if you don't keep them apart. Animals need prayers also so I'm saying one for Dixie. Lost my girl almost 9 years ago and darn it I still miss her and always will Keep us posted as to how she is doing.GOD BLESS!!