Petition to legalize jug fishing in AZ!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by WegsXXI, Jul 11, 2008.

1. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey everyone as of recently i learned jub fishing here in AZ is prohibited. im new to fishin down here and i now know that and it bums me out i learned and grew up with jugs and love it! i think we should start a pettition to pass jug fishing here in Arizona a couple people wrote me messages and it persuaded me to write this if you would like to start one lets here your views and opinions for or against it and why ?

So post your opinions and if you would like to start a petition for jug fishing Lets here what you have to say .... :wink:

Thanks Levi

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I wish I could do it!

its illegal in PA too. :crazy:
    the problem is Will a state fish commission really listen to just a small group of catfishermen?? And if they are only interested in resident and visting fishermen opinion- the list would be even smaller.

Nevertheless for what it's worth. If you make it(the petition) I will sign it. good luck.

3. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i know some people in game in fish that want to go with it to so let will help with a bit of a push so we will have to see it would be nice!

4. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I dont really see a need to legalize the jugs.They bite fine on rod and reel.Im sure some already do it.Last time I was fishing the colorado river I seen a guy checking a trot line first thing in the morning.I have also seen quite a few rigs left around the palo verde area on the ca side in the canals.

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    X2 I couldn't have said it any better than that.

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Arizona doesnt have the fishery that other states do. They commercially fish in some parts of the US, if they did that here they'd go broke.

7. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    i hope it never is...where is the sport in using a bleach jug and line to catch a fish? Seriously????????????? rod and reel.

8. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    We don't need Jug fishing here in Az. But if you really want to try pushing this issue the go to the next Angler round table meeting with Game & Fish and bring it up.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jjug fishing is a way of overharvesting catfish....Now if limit th enumber of jugs to 2 I dont see a problem

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i say no. we don't have the amount of catfish that the states back east do. start jugging here, and soon they'd all be down to a few.
    gary

12. team454ss

team454ss New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I think you are right. I do agree tht there should be a limit on jugs, but jugging aint overharvesting! I don't like this two pole garbarge either! Seriously, I grew with three poles. One for channels, one for flats, and one to through lures. There is a difference between raping a water for profit and trying to have some fun puting meals on the table! But I am ranting. How about we keep the two pole law and add two jugs and one trot line.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im not from arizona. dont know much about the fishery. so ill leave this alone. but in illinois is legal and i do it. and dont much worry about folks from other states telling me to rod and reel only in my state.:angry: i do that too.:wink:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hows that if thers a limit and ya stop when ya hit it????? you confuse me. i didnt know you were from arizona too.:roll_eyes:

15. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I will show up and protest. Fishing with jugs is a terrible idea and I would turn someone in in a heartbeat if I saw them. Bust out the rod and reel and learn how to fish. Setting a jug out and leaving it unassisted is not something I want to see on a fishing trip. Sorry, but if there's something someone can say to change my mind feel free.................
    Micah

16. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I love how people move to Arizona nad then immediately set in on trying to change it into where they came from. You know the old saying......

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me either. in illinois we need to be in sight and immed control of the jugs.

i visited arizona 15 years ago and have a relivive in scottsdale. such beautiful land and sunsets there. the saguaros around the east side of pheonix were awesome. i saw road runners scorpions and rattlers.

such beauty. be shame if it turned into the liver container covered banks like here. and if the cat population isnt as good as it is here i would think its not a good idea either.

you cant over fish a fishery thats not plentiful to begin with.:wink:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    been there and only thing i would change is to remove roads and humans. beautiful scenery. the mountains and sunsets. i was like a kid in a candy store. i just grabbed a couple beers and walked through the desert. and i for one took the cans back with me. such untamed land. i loved it.:wink:

19. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Jugging is a lazy mans way to fish. I think Flathunter was trying to limit the over kill by juggers. The fact is by the time you check your juggs catch and release is not an option because the cat struggles till he dies. Boy them dead cat being heavy on the rope must sure be fun, NOT. Be a Fisherman and learn how to catch a Cat the right way. The roaring power of a strong cat or any fish for that matter is a true thrill. My boys are crazy on fishing I could only imagine if I taught them just to throw out nem nar juggs and come back in the morning for our great experience. I keep a lot of flats until I have enough fillets for my family but keep fishing even when the freezer is full because me and my boys love the sport of fishing. The biggest part is you and the fish doing battle through the rocks and other structure. I'm sorry but juggin is weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

20. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    you hit the nail right on the head with that post man. couldn't of said it any better.